Opinions please

Just thinking about a new car as the Swift may be going this weekend. Want something reasonably quick with a bit of character for under a grand. Cars on my list: BX 16v - always liked them Astra GTE 16v - love the digi dash!! Volvo 740/940 Turbo - to match the 360 (plus I have some spare prancing moose stickers...) SD1 V8 - its got 8 cylinders!! Pug 505 V6 - RWD v6, need I say more E30 325i - RWD s6, need I say more Renault 21 Turbo - lusted after one when I was 18, probably a money pit Afla 75 2.0/v6 - ugly but cool! Saab 900 Turbo - plenty of power with a retro look XR4x4 2.9i - sideways action Vamp's Bluebird - cheap as chips but wouldnt keep up with the rest

Feel free to make comments, slag them off or add some more. Or point out any bargains.

Cheers

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

overly crazy lift suspension.

So eighties it is back again.

Oh yes, Drift monkey and drift Gorilla ;)

'nuff said.

not sure about these three

not ugly, alternative. But like a sexy Elvira goth bird

Thems nice.

The whole point of 4x4 is no sideways.

Ah yes, taking the past and understeering into the future. ;)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

But soooo cool

hehehe

Thought you might say that

You've never driven one then :)

Oh yes

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oh and a 480 Turbo, coz I liked the last one I had

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Bit thin on the ground now, and if any good, price reflects.

See above.

Oh dear

And at least 8 cracks in the dashboard!!

ROTFL

Worthy

Rare as rocking horse shit, and anything that cheap will be shagged out by now.

Gah, now look what you've done!

Plenty of petrol as well, but otherwise a good un if well maintained.

See Saab... plus 'more boring'.

It's dirt cheap... it's also quite possibly fecked.

216 GTi Twin Cam... you know you want to really. ;-)

My VTEC one needs finishing and is available...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

buy my bluebird because it's wasting my poor BMW's garage spot :) you can even take it away for £50! pleae carl please lol

Reply to
Vamp

BXs are cool. They must be cos I've got one. (c;

The suspension isn't overly crazy, there's a few things to watch out for but are usually simple and relatively easy to fix yourself. Mine is due to crack 17 years and 140,000 miles soon. The suspension seems to be fine.

BXs have stupidly effective powered brakes, supple ride and reasonable handling, the 16vs go quite well and have good engine mod potential and I love the way the whole car looks like something the space age forgot.

The seats adjust quite unlike any other car I've ever been in, and in the decent spec models, are very comfortable.

I'd love a BX16v in good nick.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I know someone who used to have a Quadra. I lost my mother's Nova 1.0 on a roundabout trying to race it lol...

Reply to
Abo

:)

I'll be around your way this time next week, get one before then :)

-- Chet

Chet

There's normally a couple about at any given time.

The one I was offered (6 years ago - jeez that went quick) was black with simple 7 spoke 17" alloys and went like a rocket apparently. The guy reckoned he had it bouncing off the limiter at 140+. £900 IIRC.

Not too worried about petrol TBH.

You've given up already?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Drive it down to me and I'll take it :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

French, 20 years old and 4WD, now thats *definately* gonna work out expensive!! And you lost your mother's Nova? What did you give up trying to make it go fast and start walking, and then couldnt find it? :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Heh, dont like your chances!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I forgot to mention i'll be around for a week ;)

-- Chet

Chet

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Carl Gibbs wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

They're cool.

They're s**te, nice engine but s**te.

I like these, the 760 Turbo with IRS is the one to have.

I love these.

Amusingly good handlers, but the V6 isn't great. I suspect the Volvo Turbo could be fitted to one though.

Good car, but the decent ones are overpriced.

Don't.

3.0 only, 2.0's aren't worth the time of day.

Don't handle that well though, and not that quick.

Sideways only if you're certifiable. I like 'em.

don't be daft, it's from a Essex.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:43fcfb39$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

But I love the digi dash :)

That would do!

I wouldnt expect it to be great, but should be a laugh. And very retro!

Cheap ones are available though. Normal 325i, few hundred on a diff and hey presto a homemade 325i Sport :)

They're a fair way down the list TBH

Surely the 16v Turbos arent that bad?

Wet road, s**te tyres - its all good clean fun! Please there's the grass autotest again this summer :D

So's me bird though!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They do have a certain something... just try and buy one all sorted suspension wise, or set aside enough money to get it sorted.

I've had a couple of these - good cars when sorted.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The dash was ok, in 1989 (I fitted one in a Mk2 Cav SRi I had). The car was had decent pace in it's time, but I just couldn't come to terms with the styling.

Now, Belmonts on the other hand, I love them. A Belmont CDi, with an XE red top under the bonnet, that would have to be worth a punt.

Image...

Don't like Sierras at the best of times, particularly the slow models. The Cos' is fun to drive, but it can be a chore.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Carl Gibbs wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

No excuse, buy a 24v Senator ;)

They're normally mutts though.

V6 is a really nice car, 2.0 is pointless. May as well go for a diesel.

I've only driven a few, and none seemed to have any balls. Even Meatball Carls one didn't seem that pokey.

Heh.

Oh dear.

Reply to
Pete M

Belmonts? Eeew!

Like I give a f*ck about image. I drive a Volvo 360 FFS!!

Personal preference I guess. Mine was fine to drive though - nice and comfortable.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs