Opinions please

"Pete M" wrote in message news:43fcfde7$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

Was looking at a Carlton GSi earlier actually :D

Not at all. I know a few mates that have had them recently. All got fairly good deals!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Good choice, if you can find a decent one.

Fast as f*ck, but handle like a puppy on ice.

Barge. Shite.

Rust.

V6 isn't as nice as you'd expect.

'Anyone got any Veras?....., sorted, laaaaahhhhvly'

*ding*

V6 sounds best, TSpark not *that* much slower and better balanced. Tspark also has a camchain, so cheaper to maintain.

Rot, price.

99% are rotten heaps of s**te. V6 engine isn't worth the extra cost of fuel / insurance.

Could make a nice car - doesn't look too bad, just needs a bit of fettling.

Alfa 33 16v. PeteM hates 'em but the 16v Boxer lump sounds lovely.

Reply to
SteveH

I do like those.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Can't go wrong with 28-30 to the gallon mixed commuting which normally involves at least one stop start for 20 miles on the motorway a week, about 35 to the gallon if I can get a good run together.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Not really I'm afriad

I could say the same about Alfas. Just a matter of finding a decent one.

Yeah, but I've wanted one for ages. An Mi16 conversion would be nice :)

Not at all. There's plenty of decent 4x4s. Finding a decent 2WD one is a problem.

I'm thinking I could get it, fix it up and maybe move on in a few months. But I'm suppose to be spending time on the Volvo, not my daily driver! Still got an engine to put in the bloody MR2!

Hmmm, that has potential. Would need to give one a try.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I actually like that. Infact it is cheaper than a service refill of the screenwash bottle on an overpriced german pimp wagon.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Slammed on, on wide black steels, and painted flat NATO green with Opel badges.

Would work for me.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

SteveH'll be along in a sec to tell you that the engine's lighter, and makes the weight distribution loads better, and that the 2.0TS is most people's choice on a track.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

16v full pressure turbo in spanking engine condition pre/De-CAT models 185BHP FWD, no slippy diff, some had ARBs, some didn't there are full power T16 models, then there are T16S models with full power, and sport suspension and body kit. They can be made to handle fairly well, but as standard they are a flying armchair. Up the motorway fantastic, drive for days with your foot down. On the twisties, very chuckable, but understeery as a pig unless you sort the suspension/alignment and very prone to lift off oversteer. Some of the continentals consider liftoff 4wheel drifts round small rounabouts the norm for the classic Saab. Good tyres help. 0-60 about 7 secs for a full pressure 900 top about 125 for a T16 top about 130 (real not indicated) for a T16S 40-70 is about 3 seconds though I believe.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That's near you, and cheap. Don't know how much you'd need to do to cure a smoky engine, but a mate of mine had a Carlton GSi 24v he got very cheap 'cos it was smoking, and he took the old air filter out, and problem solved :-)

I've seen 505 Estates badged "GTi" - what's that all about? And did they get a V6?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But by now they're probably all in pieces.

Essex boy returns?

Big barge mentality methinks - at least it'll last.

I've always wanted one of these - sort of a Daytona wannabe

Fragile and French. Those don't go together well if your bank account's not healthy.

Agreed.

French comments as above, but I've seen a few about and they seem OK.

I like these, but wouldn't trust the reliability.

Agreed, but again high running costs?

I still have bad memories of blowing the engine on one of these on the A19. Expensive and painful.

Go on, you know you want to. Just make him bring it to you.

Take a look at MSN's opinion of cars under a grand:

Even my Merc 300TE's in there!

David

Reply to
David Lane

Octopus. *cough*

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Heh, there are things I wouldn't tackle myself, but if expensive or complicated stuff is knackered, don't buy it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oh I thought the sierra was fine too, I would almost say 'drivers car', beats a chavalier anyway....

And the saab, cheap fast and not that ugly, compared to some of the weird shit these days, looks almost good looking....

Reply to
john

Standard cars are a little rollypoly, but hey it's a 70's design...

Drive a decent T16S (lowered, stiffened) they handle great for a FWD, quick turnin and even a little lift-off oversteer, (remove front anti-roll bars and it's even better) and by todays standards they're not that heavy either....Not enough power? Just tweek the turbo and fit a bleed valve...

Reply to
john

what tyres? cheap rubber and saabs is a no-no. Mine was well planted and understeered less than my mates mini cooper S...

Reply to
john

Yep I nearly bought one as a stop gap, slow and lumbering, bought a sierra instead....

Great cars, but 'cheap' ones have been chavved to death and/or have rotted arches sills and screen surround....avoid 80's examples.

Reply to
john

Hmm look like something made from lego. Think I'll add the CX turbo to the list, fast and cool, try finding one though.....

Great engine, crap handling.

Anything but, the last (only?) French car to be built like a tank. Not sure about the V6 though....

Reply to
john

I've had the use of one of these in the past - they're horrendous on fuel.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Turbos are actually better than NA/Injection models, and light years ahead of the very early carb models.

I drive one of these. The lowest I've ever gotten out of this one is

24MPG, and that was all town driving with the roof down for a week. Best I've gotten was the day I picked it up. I filled it up. Reset the mileometer. Drove it home. Filled it, and worked out that at a constant 60-70mph from Durham to Warrington (Northeast to lower Northwest) non stop (A1->M1->M62->M60->

M62->A574) accross the pennines I got 42mpg for that single run.

This one is a Lucas injection car. My old hardtop was a Bosch LH2.2 car. Lucas injection was used on the early LPT models and all later turbos. It does seem to me more economical. Best I got out of the old one was 34 ona good run, this one has done 36 for the same run, Warrington->

Curborough sprint track-> Warrington. I'm sure it is possible to get better, but not from a car the size of Scotland running petrol.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2