[OT] A Sound Engineering Project...

A strange idea occurred while watching Robert Plant (who can still hack it!) this evening:

A digital WEM CopyCat.

Not solid state, which they make, but a loop of DAT running over several helical scan head-blocks.

Silly, yes, but silly enough?

Alistair J Murray

Mad.

I just restrung my Kramer. I've never set up a Floyd Rose before. It's... interesting.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

All well and good, but bang goes the varispeed option ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Can't see the point. Once in digits, delaying the output(s) becomes a simple matter. Using tape to do this doesn't offer anything extra.

Other point is all helical scan systems have a linear control track to position the tape correctly relative to the head so multiple heads becomes tricky - I don't think you could have just the one capstan as on a copycat even with auto tracking heads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Using a tape means it will turn up to 11. :)

I think the work might need to be done by some solid-state voodoo but having all the gubbins whirling away on top would be .

Alistair J Murray

;-) Yehbut you don't get that 'nice' saturated analogue tape sound with digits. Mind you, didn't stop the record companies sending out demo DATs with the needles wrapped round the end stops - same as cassettes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing pains me more than seeing the "over" indicators when playing back CDs. FFS most stuff now is recorded 24/96 with shedloads of headroom, then mixed down digitally - there's no need to clip every fecking downbeat.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not even driving a diesel?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Just finished phase one of making diesel ownership more bearable.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

V8 petrol transplant?

-- Tell me your birthday!

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

Slight audio upgrade.

To be followed by phase II, which will be a slight ecu upgrade, but will have to wait for another pay day...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp