[OT] as in VERY OT! anyone do martial art of any kind?

started up doing matial arts this week, every wednesday and thursday i'm learning 2 types of kung fu, wing chun (the shit bruce lee did hehe) and praying mantis. wing chun is pretty basic but very effective, but mantis is a killer on the leg muscles!

started it as my cousin who used to do juit kwan do decided to go back to martial arts so thought i'd give it a go too as i do f*ck all for excerise these days! and at the same price of a gym membership i can learn something a bit more fun than running on a running machine :)

just wondered if any of you nutters do any martial arts or have done in the past? or you all sit on your asses and sniff petrol fumes from V8's? :)

Reply to
Vamp

I used to do Karate. Then i stopped.

Reply to
DanTXD

LOL nice and short ;)

every bugger does karate and i looked at it and all the rules and stuff ruined it for me, muai thai (thai boxing) looked good but the club not far from me looked seedy and dodgy so i joined a damn good kung fu place hehe

should be a lot fitter with a couple of weeks of this!

Reply to
Vamp

I was young :) I can't really remember anything except the teacher was a tosser, and now i look back, possibly a bit of a peado...

Reply to
DanTXD

I'm kinda the same 'cept i never used to do it and now i'm not starting

Reply to
Chet

on a running machine :)

did do as a kid.

I now appear to be too fat/unfit to try :o)

I did start running agian this week though, the doctors said I can train without damaging my sholder again so I should be able to shift this metric shitload I seem to have put on as a result of my injury :o(

I still dont think I could be arsed with martial arts.

I prefer marital arts nowadays ;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Come on over to rec.martial-arts. Great bunch of people. Just wear a bit of asbestos for your first few months. I do Brazillian Ju Jitsu 3 times a week. Prior to that Japanese Ju Jitsu and Aikido. Prior to that karate and kickboxing. I love martial arts.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Had a couple of Judo lessons as a kid, but then the club I went to (in the local library after hours) closed and moved to the next town and I couldn't get there.

Used to go round to my mates, and his dad was his Karate instructor, so outside of classes they would practice Katas, and I would join in, but no fighting stuff.

Then I got into cycling. Now I just spend days at a time posting in Usenet.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Same here. When I was about 9 or 10 I went along to a local karate class with a mate of mine - I think the first one was free, just to try it out. Anyway, I just couldn't stop laughing at the fact that the japanese for "one two" sounded like "itchy", so I don't think me staying on would have been that productive.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Heh, that's my problem. Well, that and not particularly wanting to.

I'm now losing weight the Kellogg's way - that "drop a jeans size" bollocks sort of works. Last time I weighed myself I was a fraction under 16 stones (probably within the last 2-3 months). Recently I've been eating not much other than Crunchy Nut (been having it for lunch and tea, and never bother with breakfast, and more often than not can't be arsed to cook anything proper in the evening), and I weighed myself the other morning

- 14 1/3 stones. Rock on. There's nothing like a balanced diet.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Judo is the most underrated martial art in the world after freestyle wrestling. It also cheap and easy to find everywhere. Great sport.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

One of my best friends has been in China for the last couple of years, training at the Shaolin Academy.

I have felt the power of his chi when he came back to the UK for a while. It exists and it's weird! He can armwrestle you without touching you, just imagine being in the armwrestle position but your hands are about an inch or two apart. He can force your arm down without touching it, it just feels like a load of static electricity and magnetism. Truly freaky.

Here's the site

fishman

And the Jap for 1, 2, 3, 4 is Itchy Knee, Sandy Sea ! (nearly)

LOL

Reply to
Nom

I imagine thats the only the kind of thing that works if you beleive in it.

Reply to
DanTXD

"DanTXD" wrote

I sure as hell believe in it now! Maybe he was only able to do it because he believed in it? I wasn't so sure until he demonstrated it.

How else do those shaolin monks do such superhuman stuff you see on telly?

Reply to
fishman

Camera tricks? Dunno really, i'm just sceptical :)

Reply to
DanTXD

"DanTXD" wrote

The same guy, who is a skinny little guy, challenged this MASSIVE (basically all muscle) nightclub bouncer to an armwrestle. They both put £50 in. My skinny friend walked away with the money, having easily trounced the bouncer (nice rhyme eh). He was drunk, the bouncer, obviously sober. It's all in the chi! I tell you it's true!

Reply to
fishman

I'd need to see it with my own eyes, im not saying you're lying, i'm just a cynical old fart really :)

Reply to
DanTXD

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "fishman" slurred :

Bollocksy bollocksy bollocks.

Balsa wood, prestressed ice, camera tricks and sharing the profits :)

Have a look at:

It's all just physics and being extremely well trained - amazing stuff nonetheless, but no mystical forces.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Oh yeah, the couple of lessons I had, basically learning to stretch, fall and roll, were good fun. Just wish they had carried on, instead of moving away.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar