OT: British driving roads

Me and the missus have been talking about holidays next year and I think we've decided to see a bit of our own country rather than going abroad. We're hopefully going to do this in a few parts, but one aspect will be a driving holiday. A rough plan is drive up the West side (possibly via Wales) as far as Manchester, spend a bit of time in the Peak District (as neither of us have been there) and drive back down the East (ish) side via Peterborough.

If all goes to plan it will coincide nicely with ownership of an 'interesting' car so we'll be staying clear of motorways where possible and chosing the more interesting routes. So, we'll be passing through some of your back gardens (I think), so I'd like some input into decent driving roads, either in terms of fun to drive or in terms of amazing scenery (hopefully mostly with both).

I've driven the Brecon Beacons a few times (including yesterday!) and wouldn't mind going via the eastern edge if there's anything good there. Also considered Snowdonia, but I think that'll be too much of a detour into Wales to be feasible. In the Peaks I'd like to do Snake Pass as that looks good and I believe it's been mentioned here a few times. But does anyone know what the Snake Pass Inn is like for B&B. In fact is there any little B&Bs / campsites out in the middle of no-where you could recommend?

All ideas welcome as we want to start planning now in order to book places to stay as we have to do it in a school holiday.

Ta

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Scottish Highlands, though some roads get too much traffic during the day - evening is best for them.

Reply to
Clive George

If you're driving in the Peak District, then mostly it's good, although ruined by silly low speed limits. Ashbourne to Buxton on the A515, turn off before Buxton on the B5055 through Monyash to Bakewell, Stop off at Chatsworth House, Bakewell via A6 to Ashford in the Water, B6455 to Tideswell, B6049 past Great Hucklow then A6187 to Castleton visit the Caverns (Speedwell, Treak Cliff, Peak Cavern). Take the A6187 to Chapel-en-le-Frith via the Winnats Pass. On to Buxton via Dove Holes and then over the Cat qnd Fiddle A537 to Macclesfield.

Snake Pass - umm not that good as a driving road IMO, not any more. It's simply a long grind stuck behind an HGV. Nor is the scenery that great. If you're around Buxton pop down the Goyt Valley to Errwood and get out to walk around the ruins of Errwood Hall. Take copies of Alan Garner's books "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" and "Moon of Gomrath" to get spooked particularly if you visit at night.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh god I haven't read them for so long. Must hunt down a copy of each.

Reply to
Elder

If you're around Buxton pop down the Goyt Valley to Errwood and

Yes and while you're at it, take a detour through Alderley Edge (the town) and marvel at how impossibly rich footballers have inflicted their lifestyles on the sleepy area described in Weirdstone....sorry pointless rant really.

Outside the town some of it is really quite nice:-

& my other half was well impressed with the charity shops. Proper designer stuff and everything

Reply to
Mark

Heh, I used to live round there as well. We left a few years before Beckham moved in.

Hmm it never was that much of a sleepy little area, even back then it was wall to wall accountants, bankers and lawyers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:55:42 +0000, Steve Firth proclaimed:

I'm wondering what Ttooomy will make of that....

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Fuxxin slavver bongle farkle little man!

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well it's all booked now. We've got 4 days in August just outside Bakewell in what looks to be a great little B&B. We'll be cruising up via Wales for a few days and back via bits of the East coast.

Just gotta buy a TVR now :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs