OT but I know there are a few gamers on here.

As I will lose use of the Wii because it is hers, what is currently the best console? Will probably end up with more than one, but which one first? Will be playing online as much as by my self, driving games as much as adventure/shooters/hack'n'slash.

I know the Wii is more "family" oriented, but are there any proper driving and shooters for it?

Reply to
Elder

As someone who has all three...

Xbox 360 has the best online experience and most of the PS3 exclusives are now on Xbox as well. On multiplayer games there are far more players online than there are on the PS3 versions of the same game (Call of Duty

4/ Modern Warfare 2 etc). In addition to that, there's the ability to chat with friends regardless of what game they're playing unlike the PS3.

Also I've found at least one game discounted in sales on the 360 (Colin McRae Dirt 2) at a far higher discount than the PS3 version.

PS3 is OK but the online drives me nuts. Only reason I still have it is because of the blu-ray player.

Reply to
Conor

I take it the WII is for the missus/kids? Although I've noticed a few multiplatform titles like McRae Dirt2 on WII too.

Thinking about it, I'll probably end up with an Xbox elite, then a black WII (to match the TV), not going to bother with a PS3 as it seems a bit over priced still. And I never had any of the earlier PS consoles so I've not got a huge history/loyalty.

Reply to
Elder

I had a go on a Wii the other day. I have to say, it's a complete bag of s**te. I really can't see what the fuss is about with them.

If I were buying a console, I'd be inclined to go down the PS3 route, purely for GT5.

That said, I'd not buy one at all if I were you. Computer games are just a massive time sponge, and you'd be better off doing something else. Take up a new sport or join the local CC.

Reply to
Doki

I'm going to have a lot of slack time once I'm home alone in my on place.

A console game and some online playing is a lot cheaper than spending it in the pub, or getting carried away with archery gear.

2 evenings and sunday morning is taken away with archery, but after 8pm, there is pub, telly, or t'interwebs. After I've done the initialy diy I'll need something to occupy my time, otherwise I'll just make drunken unwise internet purchases like every other single bloke.
Reply to
Elder

There are , but not too many first person shooters that are any good - the PS3 and XBox are far better.

What there are a lot of , are light-gun type games like House of the Dead and Resident Evil.

There's a decent number of driving games too , though the "serious" ones aren't great. The fun ones like mariokart do the job nicely.

The online gaming on the XBox is supposed to be better than the PS3 though I'm happy with my Sony console and online play is free. It also has a blu-ray player and wi-fi built in that the 360 doesn't

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

A PC. They're useless for anything else.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have my laptop for PC use at the moment and the small network server, neither are suitable for proper gaming, so to put together a proper decent gaming PC would cost about 3 times the cost of a console, and less and less games get a proper PC release.

Reply to
Elder

Get a decent PC. Core i5, 4 gig or more ram, win 7 64 bit, mid range ATI or Nvidia card, logitech feedback wheel for the driving games, xbox controller for PC for the games, decent keyboard and mouse.

Fist person stuff is better on PC (Modern Warfare 2 is awesome, L4D is fun). I have a logitech momo wheel as well...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oh for "got a load of friends round and a crate of beer" its fookin hilarious.

Reply to
Conor

Well, you need friends to play with/against. That may be where it's breaking down for you if you're playing the games alone.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you find yourself staring at a page like this:

when single and drunk, resist the temptation to make a purchase. Because you'll end up with something like this:

Steve Firth

This was two player. It just seems like PS2 level hardware with dodgy controllers to me.

Reply to
Doki

Personal experience? ;)

Reply to
Elder

The Wii isn't a cutting edge graphics machine like the xbox/ps series. But it is a lot more active. A lot of the games require you to jump arround. The Wii fit series and the fit board give you a pretty good work out if you make the most of it and do it properly.

Reply to
Elder

Fortunately not. Although I suffered from beer googles at Uni as did almost everyone I know.

Reply to
Steve Firth

PS3 makes an awesome media centre. I have it plugged in via hdmi to our plasma and running wirelessly back to my media pc. It plays 95% of everything I chuck at it. Add in the bluetooth remote and it is brilliant. And it plays games too.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Get on an online dating service and shag some chicks. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

There is always that potential, but I'm saving that as the backup.

Reply to
Elder

Compared to an Xbox 360 networked to a PC running Windows Media Center/WMP11 and a freeview tuner, the PS3 doesn't compare. I also have an issue with the quality of the audio playback on the PS3 - it sounds quite flat which is an achievement considering its running through a dedicated Home Theater amplifier (cost £300 used half a decade ago) and

5.1 Surround sound.
Reply to
Conor