OT: C.O.D services

Heh, if you'd have posted this last week when I was in Guilford, I could have done something for you, as I live near Warrington. Have you tried TNT? Or try

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Does anyone know of a courier who Cash On Delivery services at a reasonable rate, post office doesn't seem to do it any more.

I bought a 12" TFT from an E-Bay Auction. Payment terms were either

1)send money or 2)C.O.D (Cash on Delivery)
I've contacted the seller, and they have asked when I plan to collect the monitor. Their definition of Cash on Delivery seems to differ from everybody elses (including Couriers), and they expect me to either 1)post them the money on trust, or 2)travel to Guildford from Warrington to pickup the monitor.

I know I bought the monitor, but based on the description (minimal I know), and the payment methods accepted (according to standard definitions).

I want this monitor, but don't want to spend the best part of £40 of petrol to drive there, and I don't want to send money on trust.

Any suggestions, or anyone down south planning a trip back to the North?

I've got the money as cash waiting to pay for it as that is what I was expecting.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I tried most of them.

UPS were just about the only one who would do it, with somehting like £30 for the express saver, and about £12 min for C.O.D on top.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I thought cash on delivery meant you paid for it when you picked it up, can't you just post him a cheque and have him post it to you?

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Fortunately for me, i'm not due back in the foreseeable future, sorry. Get them to meet you half-way, Warwick Services or summat?

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Nope, pay the carrier cash/cheque when it is delivered.

Could do, but it is roughly £100 (with the shipping fee) to an unknown non trader. afraid I'm not big on trust.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yea i know what you mean, but thats the gamble i guess, if you pay him and he doesn't send it, ebay will give you back what you paid -£15 i think, and then theres police action etc...

Maybe meeting him half way is your best bet?

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Thing is, how do Ebay know I paid him? if he denies it, then I'm buggered.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Where are Guildford and Warrington compared to Norwich and Sheffield? I'm going down to Norwich next week, and if it's not miles out if my way...

Reply to
Doki

Cheque or paypal is safest here. If he cashes the cheque then he definitely and verifiably has your money - you can reasonably insist on insured post as well and if he does that he has no excuse to not give you the details.

Reply to
John Fitzgerald

Norwich is about 200 miles North East of Guildford, Sheffield is about 50 miles East of Warrington.

Translates as: fooking miles away!

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Little Chef ;-)

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

Aha. Overtaking is always fun. There are a couple of sections of road easily wide enough for 3 trucks abreast. People coming the other way when you're overtaking aren't always so sure about it.

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I only bid on the lot, because of the COD option. I'm not very trusting of people I don't know.

Sad state of affairs I know, but if it had been a business, I may have sent payment with out a problem, but not to a random individual who has multiple hotmail accounts that they trade on (didn't find this out till after the auction).

if they offered paypal or Escrow as an option I would more likely accepted that.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If you send him a cheque and it's been cashed, then that's proof enough. The fact that that cheque got sent to his address will also be proof - maybe you good get a free certificate of posting. Even if he denies that he paid the cheque in, your bank would easily be able to trace where the funds went if neccessary.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SwerveWeb.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

True, never thought about that.

I've sent a message to ebay, about the bad shipping description. I'll see how they get on.

I agreed to pay £8.00 shipping as he/she requested.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Wouldn't they accept PayPal/Nocheck if you offered to pay the commission? Or perhaps an electronic bank transfer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

COD is cheque on delivery.

Reply to
Cheater2k

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yes, when the item is delivered to the buyer, not when it is collected by the buyer from the seller. It can also be cash on delivery also, have cash ready, but can easily write a cheque, and bank the cash also.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Post him a cheque. If he doesn't send your goods, then take him to the small-claims court - it only costs £20. eBay have his name and address on file - it'll be trivial to track him down if necessary.

Reply to
Nom