OT: Could be new phone time

Right. I left my Sony K750i in the van today, with the window open. And today it's pissed it down, resulting in what looks like a dead phone, although I'm drying it out. Anyway, does anyone know of a phone that's a) as capable as a K750i, with a 2MP camera (although I may be willign to forgo a camera) and the ability to run opera mini b) more rugged than a K750i, as I spend a lot of time outdoors, falling in ponds etc. c) more reliable than a K750i - this one has been back several times to have the joystick fixed, and to have dust and s**te cleared from the screen, dust and s**te cleared from the camera lens etc, and now it's finally out of voda's warranty after 18 months. d) a screen that's readable in sunlight e) decent battery life, a la the K750i f) works with my Sony Ericsson bluetooth headset.

Any ideas? TBH I'd be willing to use my old Ericsson R310 if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't have T9 text or the ability to run Opera... Another Sony Ericsson would be nice as I'm used to the OS now.

Reply to
Doki

I had a play with the new iPhone last week whilst on holiday in the USA. I'm not a phone freak by any manner of means, but it makes most other phones look very old fashioned indeed.

I'm sure it isn't perfect, but it might be worth waiting for over here - buy a cheapy in the meantime.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'm not a big fan of Nokias on the whole, but we have 6230is which appear to be largely abuse proof.

But probably not rugged enough for Doki's needs.

Reply to
SteveH

Fuck that. I want proper buttons. I've long since decided that phones peaked in their functionality for actually ringing people around the period that the 6310 and the 8310 were produced. However, I've got used to having a camera and a K750i isn't a bad compromise - not too many crashes now the software's been updated and so on. But it'd take some convincing to get me to upgrade to a Carlos Fandango model...

Reply to
Doki

I'm on my 4th 6230i :-) I gave up getting them replaced/fixed when the warranty run out heh. Now I just live with this one and it's faults - new phone time next month anyway.

Reply to
Iridium

I'd consider an iPhone if it has UTMS gubbins if/when it comes out here. The US ones seem to have have a slightly enhanced version of GPRS which is only a bit faster than dialup. My T-Mobile UTMS datacard can do a realistic and sustained 1.5Mb. GPRS when I'm not in a UTMS area is painfully slow for full fat browsing these days but it's passable for WAP IMHO.

I doubt an iPhone would stand up to being left by an open window in the rain either, although there seems to be an absence of buttons to suffer from dust ingress. (c: Doki needs some kind of indestructaphone.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Says the man who paid his own hard earned cash for a tarted over Chavalier with a boat-anchor pickup truck engine up front.

Both the Passat and Merc E-class are overweight Kraut barges. Which is why I want to downsize when it's up for replacement next spring.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd completely forgotten about the W810. Do you lose any functionality over the K750i?

Reply to
Doki

Nope not really, cam is the same, menu system is slightly different, but the 810 has a better MP3 player, it costs 5 quid to change your 750 into a

810 and was the first thing I did when I got mine back in the old days. 810 also comes with kick ass SE headphones, the earbud ones that are sooo much better than the K750, you also get a 500mb card.

K800 is very good and cheap enough now, the 3mb camera is excellent and the MP3 player is much better than the W810, SE phones are very solid, can be dropped lots and are very stable, Nokia's are pretty poor since they went over to Symbian but the functionality on the Nokia out weighs the buggy reboots etc.

Reply to
Ronny

There are SonyEricssons that run Symbian and indeed non Symbian Nokias.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Man, doesn't it going to GPRS just give you such rage? I find UMTS performs admirably, you can torrent on it and everything :-)

One of them shit old rubber Nokias :-)

Reply to
Iridium

If we are talking good nokia phones, they all run symbian(mostly the n series)

SE phones that run an OS tend to big and bulky and not really in this category, i.e. P900 etc

Reply to
Ronny

Wrong.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm up for a new phone anytime from now, I'm on Voda, I like the Samsung U700. Anyone played with one? I'm not interested in it having Wifi or a million mega pixel camera, or MP3 player or any of that stuff. Reasonably reliability would be nice, I'm not hard on my phones though so anything not made of tissue should be OK.

Reply to
Iridium

Samsung D500 if you're happy with 1.3mpx cam, or D600 if you're looking

2mpx.
Reply to
Sandy Nuts