OT: FS or Swap - 1 x BMW 730i and 1 BMW 735i

730i: G reg MOT til around October/November-ish 1 year's tax excellent engine and autobox virtually immaculate black leather interior pretty bloody good exterior definitely above average condition Kenwood Mask CD player, working but in need of repair to ribbon cable (well, replacement) as front opens/shuts but doesn't function at all 162,000 miles - FSH up to around 130k then owned by a garage owner who serviced it himself. Automatic, with sport/manual/economy modes, all functioning correctly. All electrics work fine, including all functions of the seats and the fuel computer. £800, open to sensible offers (bear in mind the year's tax).

735i: F reg, Grey leather interior, everything works - leather is in good nick with no rips or tears, but slightly discoloured in a couple of places (though I'm being quite picky here). Autobox works fine, as do all the electrics, including the fuel computer. Sony 10-disc boot-mounted CD changer and radio/cassette head unit.

1 year's MOT (only needed 1 hazard light switch to pass MOT), but no tax. £750 ono.

Will consider doing a deal with a Rover Maestro Diesel in good condition with a long MOT, a bit of tax and a recent cambelt.

Located in Berkshire.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

You sick bastard.

Why a Maestro, anyway?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Sold my almost mint, 58k genuine from new, H plate Maestro DLX, only last week...

You want a TD really, as apart from more power, and more outright economy when you take it steady, they come with PAS.

Reply to
JackH

I'm almost tempted by a Rover 220SDI (or even 420SDI), if I can get a good one cheap enough, but then people keep tempting me with things like Alfa 155 TSparks and Toyota Seras.........

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm almost tempted by a Rover 220SDI (or even 420SDI), if I can get a good one cheap enough, but then people keep tempting me with things like Alfa 155 TSparks and Toyota Seras.........

Any idea if a TD Maestro would be significantly better on fuel than a Rover

220SDI? I'm thinking emissions strangling type devices here....

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Both of which are ideal backups for those days when the van isn't available for work, of course... ;-)

I'm about to get a small van... my main car, which I intend to only use for work if I *really* have to once the van is in play, is a Mk4 Golf TDI estate.

My main backup, is actually a bubble shape Micra 1.3 - goes like stink, and even if you drive them like you've stole it, they return around 40mpg minimum.

Oh, and cheap insurance, plus madam is going to learn to drive in it. :)

I think they're about the same... main difference maintenance costs wise, is the 200/400/600 16v diesel lump has more of a tendency to throw its cambelt.

I managed to get 63mpg on a steady 70ish run in my Montego TD estate, one night, and they're not exactly the smallest of cars....

Reply to
JackH

Not these days - I'm doing multidrop work that uses anywhere between 35% and

105% of the capacity of a SWB Renault Master van - don't think a car would manage that :-). On a quiet day, something like an XM Estate *might* just do the job.

Out of interest, is that a PD one?

Oh, are the L series diesels valvers? Didn't know that?

A mate of mine once had a Rover 218SLD (PSA lump) and on a blat from Bracknell to near Hereford, then up the M5 to Brum, doing close on 3 figure speeds, and back home via the M40, doing close on 3-figure speeds all the way down there as well, it averaged 46mpg. I reckon that was pretty good, but I'd rather a 2 litre Perkins/L series than the french one - it just feels more workhorsey to me - a good ole proper old-skool diesel!

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nope... it's the 90bhp one.

Leaves plenty of stuff behind on the motorway, if you bury your foot in fifth, mind. :-)

And I was advised the PD can be a bit problematic in old age... although yes, I'd prefer 150bhp on tape, if I am honest.

Yup.

Sounds it to me - the best I ever had out of my ZX TD, was 48mpg, on a steady 80mph run up north, and my 306 1.9D NA seemed to do about 44mpg, however you chose to drive it.

It is... but you really want PAS, a big trust me on this one... and yes, it can be retrofitted without *too* much grief, as all the pump mountings are cast into all blocks, even if they left the factory sans PAS.

Reply to
JackH

Not all come with power assisted steering, it was an option (that should be ticked!)...

Reply to
DervMan

How about a 205 DT instead? :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ooh, dunno - I've heard stuff about French stuff being fragile, and things like caliper seals/rear cylinders always going pop - how good is it - could it regularly return 55mpg on my commute (15 miles of clear motorway, doing

75-80, then 9 miles of A road doing 60-ish, and doing 40-50 down the same A road on the way back). What sort of condition's it in, how much MOT and tax, when was the cambelt last done, and how much are you wanting?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

in news:szJNd.156$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, "AstraVanMan" slurred :

Nah. Bits of trim rattle, but they are mechanically very robust and they don't rust. The XUD series engines go on _forever_. The only thing I have noticed is that drop-links tend to wear out fairly quickly (as in 3 in 70000 miles, but at £11 and 15 minutes to replace it's not a major issue.

??? I've never had either of those go pop, nor on any of the dozen or so other same-era pugs we've had. I have had to replace the rear cylinders, but only 'cos I rounded off the bleed nipples. (doh...)

I suspect the direct injection rover lump is more economical, but mine is thrashed fairly mercilessly once warm, along a 90-dd mile mix of A&B roads and gives 53mpg pretty reliably. 60+ mpg is quite possible if you drive like a corpse.

Ah, dunno. You should ask carl about that :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Well i've done a fair bit of work, i'll try and list all of it (should have reciepts for it all): New steering rack (i think it did the track rods ends too)

2 new driveshafts New radiator New starter motor 4 new glow plugs New and improved front brakes (vented discs) New front dampers (bilsteins) New front wishbones New powerflex wishbone bushes New windscreen Rear dampers to be fitted (never got round to it at w/e) New cam oil seals to be fitted too I havent done the cambelt, but the previous owner did. Although i do have a cambelt that i was planning to change soon. Recently serviced (oil, oil filter, air filter changed) Can fit a TIM boost gauge if you want it too. Never heard of the rear brake problem, and they're certainly fine at the mo. My girlfriend drives it at the mo and she happily averages 55mpg. It has about 10 months MoT and 6 months tax (just paid out for it). It smokes a little on startup - probably the valve stem oil seals gone hard which is a common problem on XU engines, but it still doesnt use much oil, just an annoying 'niggle' really. The cars got a bit of a battered look about it - after some kids kicked it in I repaired it best i could, but the passenger door is a bit wibbly and the bonnet has a couple of marks, but nothing too severe. Interior isnt in bad condition, although the previous owner had a go at modifying the dash and failed miserably! But i've sorted most of that. Basically a solid and reliable car that has a bit of oooomph behind it.

Oh, and some other good bits - it has 5 Pug alloys (with random budget tyres), the GTi front valance (with driving lights), bucket velour seats and a towbar with working electrics. I can also provide most of the kit for an intercooler conversion too.

Not sure if i really want a big 7 series, but if you're interested in it, i could be persuaded to let it go. It all depends on the outcome of my insurance claim with the MR2!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "Carl Gibbs" slurred :

Ah, um. If you do decide to flog it, then I might be interested in the intercooler gubbins, (and the boost gague :)

Does the gubbins include an auto bonnet? I had thought about going for an Allard front mounted 'cooler, which I still might do, but the skinflint in me is tempted by top-mount. Hmm

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yep, brand new original Peugeot bonnet (a few hundred quid from a dealer!!). Plus intercooler and manifold. Needs the i/c brackets, vacuum pump piping (all available from a 405/BX) and a bonnet vent of some sort (found a huge one for £25). All depends how the insurance company though, and whether they pay me!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs