[OT] Hitch Hikers Guide To the Galaxy.

The film, not the TV series.

*Don't* watch it. Don't even download it. If someone asks you if you've seen it, tell them you really don't want to.

It's *criminal*, it's the worst adaptation of a book in the history of film. There is absolutely nothing in this film that makes it worth watching - apart from possibly Stephen Fry as the voice of the book.

I've just spent the best part of two hours staring at the screen in complete and utter disbelief at what they've done to annihilate possibly the finest Sci-Fi books in the history of the universe.

My flabber is truly ghasted at this travesty of a film, and to make it even worse, it looks like there's a sequel on the way.

*KEEP AWAY FROM THIS FILM*

Right, I'm off to set fire to the DVD.

Reply to
Pete M

I don't know it's also got Alan Rickman as the voice as Marvin.

Should have asked me first, I went to the cinema to see it when it opened. Still works best in it's original format (radio).

Reply to
Depresion

Saw it at the cinema. It is awful. The worst part for me is that they changed the storyline, and this pretty much completely rules out the possibility of there being a *good* Hitch Hiker's Guide film of the for the next 20 years. Why didn't they follow the format of the books? Argh!

Shortly after Douglas Adams died, I heard that he had actually finished a script for the movie - it would be shocking if this script had been chosen over something Adams had actually done... They took out all the good bits and replaced them with Hollywood crap!

ARGHHGHG!!!!!!

I thought I'd got over it. I haven't.

ARHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHHHH!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Appreciate two things:

  1. ALL the interpretations of the HHGG continuum have been different, radio / book / tv. The film is no more different.
  2. It had to have a beginning and an end, and a subplot that the americans could follow.

It's not all that bad - I enjoyed it, it was an easier intro to HHGG than the other formats for my kids.

On another note - the quintessential phase just finished on R4 - nice.

On another note, I want a breadknife that toasts while it cuts...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's also just out on CD, completing the collection nicely.

Reply to
Depresion

Unfortunatley I did. Thanks fully on dodgy VCD. The BBC TV "20p" special effects version is far better, and the visual in the Radio show blow the film away totally. Douglas Adams must be literally turning in his grave.

Stephen Fry is the star, and the original TV series Marvin are the stars of the film. It just doesn't work.

Yep, to squeeze it into a film they have chopped out so much. Advice for anyone who has seen it and wants to find out what the book is about, don't buy the current one in the shops. Find a copy of all 5 parts in a good secondhand bookshop. the current version being sold is a "movie tie edition", which means that it most likely has had all the best bits pulled out to suit the watered down hollywood tastes in literature.

At least 3 sequals, I can't see them making a film out of "Mostly harmless" (5th book in the Trilogy), its barely long enough for a book

*DONT PANIC*

Do it for me.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

How on earth can they do a sequel? They tried to wrap up three books in one.

Oh, and you can almost sum it up by saying "Knock, knock" "Who's there?"

The whole thing is full of 1/2 jokes. I think they edited them all out for the flying dolphins.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The film ended just before the restaurant at the end of the universe.

Cue the start of the sequal.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar