OT just a tad, daytona florida, anyone been?

i'm jetting off on the 1st June (no holiday in 8 years and never flown so i jump in the deep end!) going to daytona florida cos my cousin is going to marry a yank but i'm there for 2 weeks. sooo what car shit is there to see out there? no doubt will do the usual parks, damn disney, universal stuidos and the space centre ect.

i'll be staying at a motel (for free hehe) right on daytona beach!

i can't wait to see and hear some proper engines!

Reply to
Vamp

Doesn't look like there's much on at the speedway in June,

plenty of other motorsport related stuff

Homer

Does your motoring ban and fine count as a criminal conviction? You might have trouble getting in on a visa waiver.

Have you checked that? Even if you are arrested you are supposed to declare it and get a proper visa, even if you were never convicted.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Do they still do visa waiver? I thought it was stopped ages ago. One of the many reasons I won't set foot in the US until they stop treating everyone like criminals.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Heh, one of the reasons I've not been back to the states for years is because according to the Yanks I *am* a criminal.

Sheesh, 12 months for ABH and they won't let me in. Wankers..

Reply to
Pete M

Daytona International Speedway FFS. You're right next to a goddam motor racing spectacle *THAT VERY WEEKEND*: the Pepsi 400! Only fly in a couple of days earlier because it finishes under the lights (just past midnight, when I went a couple of years back) and you'll have a bit of jet lag when you get there.

You want to hear yank engines? NASCAR Cup cars sound amazing...

Reply to
Abo

He's a month too early according to the website.

Reply to
Homer

been told they don't

Reply to
Vamp

Yes, at least for EU citizens.

Nope.

I guess sir has never tried to enter the UK via the port of Dover as an EU citizen, accompanied by a non-EU citizen?

I go to the US a lot due to the above mentioned non-EU citizen and I can honestly say that at least the US immigration & customs folk tend to be polite and efficient...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Not that much, actually. The Speedway has a museum, Daytona Beach has a local museum that has a couple of restored cars and a couple of railway carriages that are worth seeing, plus IIRC there's another small car museum on the western edges of the sprawl.

They'll be crowded as usual...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Dunno why, but I read his post as July... Doh

Still, The Richard Petty Experience is on in June, so book now and drive a NASCAR:

And there's other stuff to do:

It's worth just going in for a look if you're a petrolhead; the place is

*massive*

How about heading down to New Smyrna Speedway?

There's some stuff on the 3rd and 10th of June; dunno when the wedding is but try and go on the 10th because the Late Models are racing.

Reply to
Abo