OT: Mobile phone recommendations

I'm thinking of changin my mobile - I have a motorola L6 and am getting fed up of its sluggish behaviour (e.g. 3-4 secs to find a name in the address book) and utterly dire built in camera.

Things which are important to me: decent standby battery life good predictive text responsive/well designed operating system moderately decent camera calendar bluetooth (& ability to synch calendar via BT)

obviously if it's tiny and lightweight then that's a bonus..

I've been thinking about getting a Sony-Eric k750i (around £50 on ebay) or possibly an 810i (around £90), but I thought I'd ask opinions from folks who've actually used 'em. Any suggestions for other makes/models appreciated!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I've got a K800i. Brilliant.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I've got a Nokia 6230i. Aside from been a Nokia (and having all the standard Nokia problems), it's really small and I think it does all the things in your list.

Reply to
Iridium

Nokia 6233. Very good on all your criteria.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Seconded. Only thing that annoys me coming from a Nokia is the lack of applications available to install. Symbian OS seriously kicks arse over the Sony-Eric offering in this respect.

Reply to
Conor

I've got a k800i and I've no complaints. The camera is actually pretty useful instead of being a toy, mainly due to the flash I think. I like the look of the k810i; love the retro-looking keypad

Reply to
Abo

Cheers all. Looks like a k800i may be the way to go. Discussions on a couple of the forums suggest that it can't be unlocked yet. Anyone know for sure if this is true? Don't want to blow £100+ on a phone on eBay and then not be able to use the dratted thing..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

K800 can now be unlocked I done mine using davinci but most onlines can now do it, cost is more expensive then normal as it's 50 quid, I have just ordered a new phone N95 so can do away with my Tomtom, so have a unlocked K800i that will be up for sale in about a week.

It's not in pristine condition but it isn't hard to change the covers I can also throw in a 512mb memory card, it's gotta be worth 100 quid.

Other than that a K750 has a great 2mp cam and uses the less expensive pro duo memory cards, W810 has same cam as K750 and same as W800. K800 is the toy if you want decent pictures, but i am a bit let down about the earpiece volume, I have not flashed mine yet to the new SE firmware, but I am sure it could be louder.

Reply to
Ronny

I had the W800i up until a couple of months ago (the 810's predecessor) and I liked it enough to get the W850i this year. Joystick could play up a bit though when it got a bit dirty, but the W850 does away with it, not sure if the W810 is the same. Camera's pretty good - quite a few of the pics on my website were taken on it. RDS Radio and MP3 player are damn good too.

I think I'm right in saying the K series of phones have the better cameras, but the W series have the extra Music software. However if you buy a K series phone I think you can upgrade the software to give it the W series spec. Cant do it the other way round as it's the hardware thats different. Although I could have made that up ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I think the camera is probably a bit toss, and navigating the photos is pretty slow, and the battery life is quite shit if you talk a lot. Actually also, I'm on my 4th due to warranty claims to, but to be fair, it turns out the fault I was claiming for twice was then described as a 'feature' by Nokia, so I gave up heh. Only once was it actually proper faulty (did the Nokia, turn itself off and refuse to turn on thing) But its nicely small and light, also they seem quite cheap on eBay, and there are lots of features. Also, and Steve disagrees here heh, but it does take normal SD cards. I don't know if it does those syncing things. I think I want a W880i next...

Reply to
Iridium

Update here - it only seems to take some SD cards. This pikey no name 128mb goes in fine, but this SanDisk 512mb is too thick... Interesting :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Turns out it doesn't take SD cards, just MMCs heh :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Sounds like the 128mb one is an MMC card and the 512 is SD. They are an ever so slightly different form factor.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I'll second that - the 6230 and 6230i are our standard issue business phones. I'd have one myself if they had 3G.

Reply to
SteveH

*ding*
Reply to
SteveH

I've had a few SEs and a few Nokias, I'm a SE fan on the whole, last phone was a K600i which was fine but had a fairly duff 1.3mp camera. I had a 6230(no 'i') before that, which was fun when it came out but was buggy as hell, well, buggier than my experience of previous SEs.

I've currently got a K800i and it's also good. The camera is the best on a phone, a bit pants in low light but the flash is real and the camera is generally quite good for snaps.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ref: Nokia 6230i

Erm, no it doesn't.

I've just taken the 1GB card from my camera and tried to put it in the phone. It doesn't fit because it's too thick.

Reply to
SteveH

Are you sure the pikey no-name isn't an MMC card?

Does it have a write-protect switch on the side?

Reply to
SteveH

6233. Everything good about the 6230i made better.
Reply to
Chet

Agreed, great all rounder

Reply to