OT: Modified car question.

This evening I've been offered a swap for my nicer Range Rover.

The Rangie is as follows:

3.9 Vogue SE Auto, LPG with underfloor tanks. Beluga Black, every option i.e headed, electric leather seats with memory, aircon, cruise, heated front screen, auto dimming mirror and all that palaver.

I value it at about £1000 as it needs a few little jobs, cv joint, exhaust blow, spot of welding (but nothing difficult or hard to get to).

As a straight swap I've been offered a '90 Toyota Supra Turbo, it's manual, red, leather - but the seats are aftermarket bucket jobs trimmed to match, Konis, 18"s, tuned to around 350bhp (or so he says, he's digging out dyno prints for when I go and have a look), the box is a straight cut jobbie - Quaife or the Jap equivalent of a Quaife.

The car seems ok from my memory, but it's been attacked with some dubious "body additions". It's got bloody graphics on and a stupidly big rear wing. I've told him that before I even consider it I want the standard wing and that the graphics are comin' off.

He's agreed to put 12 months MOT on the Supra and tax it for 6 months...

Should I go for it? I'm hoping I'm not sad enough to need a CWC[1] yet.

this is probably the only text in existance where I'm considering a jap car [2], so you lot can put me right when it comes to Japstuff now.

[1] Chest Wig Chariot. [2] Other than a Legacy Turbo Estate.
Reply to
Pete M

dang Pete put me top of the list for when you sell it on :) "Pete M" wrote in message news:D5pLg.583$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Rob

Is it the Mk3? I'm assuming so.

Check the headgasket. If all is good and it boosts properly doesn't drink or piss any oil and you can insure it, f*ck year go for it.

If it is going to be the one and only time you will go jap, go jap bigtime and enjoy some RWD slappy tail drift action. Even if it only for the 12months ticket, and no need for welding, WTF not.

You will quite like it, even if it is a little bland compared to the rangie interior.

Reply to
Elder

"Pete M" wrote in message news:D5pLg.583$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

At 530 horses you'll probably start missing the Rangey's fuel consumption. And the older (MK2?) Supras are horrific ugly.

Reply to
Doki

1990 should be a MK3, I was looking at one (turbo 3 litre, manual leather, working aircon) when I bought the GT4. Most are Auto, but the drivers leather was pretty screwed on the door side bolster, it was slightly modified (no biggy), and "The service history is missing, I think a guy that was going to buy it took it". How many times have I heard that for a clocked starship.

If I was going to look for a second car that was a grunty for heavy fast cruiser, I would probably have one, fit a steel headgasket, and up the boost for shit and giggles. a Front mounted intercooler instead of the side mounted "chocolate fireguard" would also be on the cards.

Elder.

Reply to
Elder