[OT] More Linux

Having more success now. Someone bought me 'SUSE Linux 9.3 For Dummies' for my birthday and it came with the OS on CD. I've installed that and I can now get everything working properly (so it seems). I'm posting from KNode now...

Just need to hack through the book now ;)

Reply to
Abo

Good man. So was the manual entry for RPM any good, or did you just install Suse and be done ;)

I love Mandrake/Mandriva. At work the company swears by/at Redhat/Fedora Core, while one of the other developers won't touch anything else than Debian, and another prefers Suse because he has some very weird hardware at times. And you thought the whole Windows/Linux/Mac thing was bad. This makes a holy war look tame.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

NeedforSwede2 waffled thus:

Heh, I just installed Suse... Everything is going well, except I cannot get it to connect to my cable router wirelessly. It connects fine through the ethernet port, and I can connect wireless to my ADSL router so there's some fine tuning to be done somewhere.

Be in a couple of weeks, when the phone line is back on (wednesday) and my ADSL is transferred over... My cable router is only a crappy 802.11b, the ADSL is .11g

Reply to
Abo

You might need to set the wireless on board (not sure how other than through YAST maybe) to look for both 802.11b/g

I know the onboard one on my new Advent can be set to look for one, the other or both. maybe it is defaulting to G only and needs setting.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

You may want to try Mozilla Thunderbird which is a very good e- mail/usenet client.

Reply to
Conor

Try manually setting the IP address for the DNS server.

Reply to
Conor

Actually Knode isn't bad. It is a leafknode client that is integrated well into the KDE Pim, with the Calendar/Mail/News/KWallet (identity) package.

Does some nice hightlighting and threading stuff.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yeah I thought about that one; I tried Thunderbird one time in the past and I can't remember why I didn't stick with it. I think I rebuilt my system and didn't bother reinstalling it.

Reply to
Abo

Or just remove Linux and install Windows XP which comes with outlook express pre-installed and is fine.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Jesus man, you want to cripple his PC, and remove his learning. He wants to learn something new, the only thing you learn with microsoft is "Windows has hidden these files to protect your PC, are you sure want to view these hidden files". It knows best, don't mess, you are too stupid to change anything on your PC.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Agreed, one major factor to using Thunderbird is it's mostly platform independent, I'm writing this in an installation of OS X, all my email data was copied and used directly in the Linux version which in turn came directly from Windows.....

Literally all I did to migrate email was copy one folder. I was VERY impressed.

Reply to
Tim Anderson