OT: new laptop purchased.

After a prowl online, and a check arround, it was quicker to pick up a=20 cheap advent from PC *Spit" world. At least it is just round the corner when I kick off about something=20 failing. I wouldn't buy something from them that actually had to work in=20 the field.

OK, 15" 1200x800 widescreen panel. Semprom 3000

40gighdd DVD +/-RW Windows Media Centre 1 gig ram.

=A3529.

No bluetooth, but a card reader,dvdrw, wifi and 4 USB 2.0's as well as=20 TVout and a PS2 mouse input.

It'll do for occasional gaming and browsing+checking fault codes in mine=20 and the missus's machine.

the wireless doesn't seem to be as good at connecting as my old Buffalo=20

802.11b wifi card. Some times it does, mostly it won't. Even when sat=20 right by the access point.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

OK, 15" 1200x800 widescreen panel. Semprom 3000

40gighdd DVD +/-RW Windows Media Centre 1 gig ram. £529.

No bluetooth, but a card reader,dvdrw, wifi and 4 USB 2.0's as well as TVout and a PS2 mouse input.

It'll do for occasional gaming and browsing+checking fault codes in mine and the missus's machine.

the wireless doesn't seem to be as good at connecting as my old Buffalo

802.11b wifi card. Some times it does, mostly it won't. Even when sat right by the access point.
Reply to
Ronny

ADVENT!? YOU LOON!

Four out of four people I know who have bought Advents have had no end of trouble with them. One had pretty much every component in it replaced under warranty and it was still knackered, so PC world gave him an HP replacement instead as it was easier.

And PC world's level of customer service means that you're probably better off talking to an Indian call centre in DELLhi

I hope for your sake I'm wrong and I hope it provides you with many years of trouble free service. I didn't mean to piss on your bonfire. My fingers are crossed for you.

Reply to
fishman

Fishman, can you send me an email if you get chance or pop on msn?

Reply to
Ronny

OK, 15" 1200x800 widescreen panel. Semprom 3000

40gighdd DVD +/-RW Windows Media Centre 1 gig ram. £529.

No bluetooth, but a card reader,dvdrw, wifi and 4 USB 2.0's as well as TVout and a PS2 mouse input.

It'll do for occasional gaming and browsing+checking fault codes in mine and the missus's machine.

the wireless doesn't seem to be as good at connecting as my old Buffalo

802.11b wifi card. Some times it does, mostly it won't. Even when sat right by the access point.

I've never even heard of advent. Must be a UK thing?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Lol, and they'll take it away, send it off and never have the parts...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It if it lasts the first 6 months, it will last the first 6 years. And if it doesn't. I get get the right to a replace or refund under the S.O.G ACT (must be fit for the purpose it is intended). He tried to sell me extended warrenty/support/onsite. When I said I would stick with the standard warrenty, he said that was parts only.

He shut when I said what about statutory rights and consumer law, and goods being fit for the purpose, and of merchantable quality.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yeah, it is a home brand offering of the PC world/Dixons/Curry's group.

Usually good spec but crap quality. But then most things these days are cobbled together in China anyway.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I just bought a Toshiba A7. Picking it up in hour. : ) At least I took my own advice.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I hope you have more luck with it than I do with my Tosh P10, it keeps overheating in our blistering weather.

Reply to
Depresion

Yeah I know. But if it fails within the first 6 months, "replace or refund", after that, if it lasts 6 months it will probably last 6 years.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Good man. My Tosh Tecra A5 is nearly a year old, apart from the dog eating some of the power lead it's been perfect. My colleague sat opposite me has a Tecra that's 3 yrs old and still looks like new, like me it's in and out of case multiple times a day and spends its life being carted site to site.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

A truer thing never said when it comes to electronics. However the battery on my Vaio lasted 11 months and 10 days but they replaced it free under warranty and sent me back a laptop that looked as good as new. I think it also had a brand new DVD burner fitted as well, which was nice of them! When I investigated the price of replacement batteries should it fail again outside the warranty period, it was cheaper to buy another 2 years' extended warranty, and that covers the whole laptop!

Hope spares (particularly batteries) and stuff will be readily available for your Advent - I've no idea how Dixons Group support these kinds of things when it comes to laptops.

Reply to
fishman

There was a Tosh I like, but it was =A3200 dearer for a similar spec, and= =20 slightly bigger HDD.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

No it won't.

The build quality is s**te. On the one I was stupid enough to buy, the lid cracked around the hinges after about 18 months. Looking at the ones on sale on E-Bay, I was not alone.

Reply to
Conor

I'm pretty gentle with laptops. It will get light (once or twice a week max, maybe once or twice a month) use, and great care taken. that was why didn't want to spend a grand+. If I had the cash, I would have spent that much on my main PC, but not on a Laptop. If it was one for work with daily use, I would have spent decent money.

BTW, has anyone seen those Alienware and Rock 19" TFT SLI gaming laptops? My god, don't know about desktop replacement, screw four folding legs on, and you have a desk replacement.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

What's the battery life like on them? Considering that you can already spend £3262 on one of there laptops (without adding software or a carry case and plus delivery) what will they be charging?

Reply to
Depresion

Depresion waffled thus:

I bet laptops like that very rarely run on battery power.

Reply to
Abo

NeedforSwede2 waffled thus:

Want...

Reply to
Abo

Rock are now listing it at £1999+vat but that's the poverty spec one with only

1gb of ram and XP home. Up it to 2gb, put XP pro on add in a spare battery and a 0 dead pixel guarantee and it's £2298+vat still a lot cheaper than the current alienware not SLI system.
Reply to
Depresion