OT: new laptop purchased.

Alienware

BTW, for anyone not in the know, Alienware, now owned by Dell. Bet no gamers ever thought they would hear that phrase.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Yeah, not too bad I suppose.

A worthwhile saving of £220 over the new MacBook models (£749 for

1.83GHz Core Duo/512/60/Combo, up to £1028 for the black model with 2.0GHz, 80Gb, SuperDrive - add £70 for 1Gb from Apple, less from Crucial I expect), which admittedly lack the DVD writing capability at that price point - although a 1.83Ghz Core Duo might be a bit nippier than a Sempron, and the 60Gb SATA HD is at least large enough to be useful. And Bluetooth, WiFi, USB 2.0, Firewire, GigE ethernet...

Plus a few unique things, like the Magsafe power adaptor, the little remote control and Front Row, the iSight camera (not unique, but unusual in this form factor), and 1.08" thin. It's barely thick enough for the ports...

I appreciate the differences in spec such as the DVD drive and 1Gb RAM, but seriously, still want to suggest that the Apple option is overpriced?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Try specking up 2 identical systems (with CAD in mind so 2GB of ram is needed), one with Dell (hardly the cheap end of the market) and one with Apple. Even with my Apple discount it works out £200 more + the cost of Windows XP Pro.

Reply to
Depresion

How much are Dell charging for the RAM compared to Apple? But Dell are pretty cheap overall, and I know the Dell machine isn't as slim as the MacBook - I'll withhold judgement on the build quality until I know the MacBook is well made (plus I know that older higher-end Dells are good, as my gf's Latitude LS demonstrates by refusing to die).

Actually, I reckon I'll get my gf a MacBook when her LS dies.

Oh, also, are you choosing a Black or White MacBook as a starting point? The black one costs £140 more than the white one with the HD upgraded to

80Gb, for no apparent reason other than being black.

Richard (black iPods don't cost more, dammit).

Reply to
RichardK

That's the white one. I'd rather save the £140 as it will take a chunk (all be in not a big one) out of the cost of the latest Pro E and Solidworks.

Reply to
Depresion

Hmmmm, I'm wondering what the score will be with warranty replacements of G4 'books.

Mine appears to have fried Firewire and audio circuits - courtesy of an external drive incident.

It's out of the Apple warranty, but still has 12 months of the John Lewis 2nd year warranty to run......

I do wonder if I should hold off sending it in to JL, because, my reckoning is that, should the logic board be dead, they'll have to replace the whole laptop - meaning I could well swing a new MacBook out of it, rather than a replacement G4.

Reply to
SteveH