OT: Nokia N95

Excuse the OT subject - but I'd trust you lot more than a pukka group for this. I've just got one of these and am having problems getting it to work with my WLAN. I've allowed its MAC address and entered the WEP code. It appears to connect but if I try a URL I get 'no gateway'. Any clue? It's the only wireless thingie I have on the LAN so I'm not quite sure about them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When it starts working right, it has an accelerometer in it that is disabled apparently. And you can enable it, load some files on, then if you swing it it makes a sound like a light saber :-D You KNOW that's the coolest thing ever.

Reply to
DanB

Go to the manual settings for the IP address etc and set the default gateway to the IP address of the router.

Reply to
Conor

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

So that'd be a 'No' to his question, then? ;-)

Reply to
conkersack

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

Be cool if someone wrote an app to use the accellerometer to work out

0-60 times etc.
Reply to
Abo

I've done just that using the accelerometer in my Macbook :-) You have to make sure you either mount it parallel to the body of the car, or calibrate it with the car on the falt, but other than that it works ok. Even tells you the power, if you tell it how heavy the car is!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Surely that's hard to do accurately without know gear ratios etc?

That is an awesome bit of gadgetry though - if we get this UKRCM meet sorted you'll have to come along and bring that :-) Using my mates full on G-Tech (I think that was the name) performance data logger thing he borrowed from work I did a 0-60 in 5.4 in the Vee - just me in the car, fuel light came on during the run - so fuel weight was low hehe. Ties in with a lot of other

0-60 dashes other people have timed on the forum - using various methods (drag strip times etc). Evo mag timed it themselves at 5.8 seconds using all their very expensive equipment. The Renault official figure of 6.2 seconds has always been very questionable - someone suggested it was 2 up with a full tank of fuel, apparently that's how Renault used to do all their timing. Another factor I suppose would be the mileage, they seem to be very 'tight' new and take a good 10k to stand showing their full power.
Reply to
DanB

Nope. Excuse the physics, but the power which is actually being produced is just the force pushing the car forwards multiplied by the speed. If you know the mass, then the acceleration gives you the force,

*and* the speed. Easy! :-) It doesn't tell you the peak power of the engine, mind, just what the car is actually putting onto the road. It does tell you the power dissipated by your brakes as well, for extra bragging rights...

Heh, ok. I'll try to remember.

I think that's the normal way it's done - seems a tad unfair to small, lightweight things; my 205 TD hits 0-60 in about 11s 2 up with full tank, but just me and running on fumes it does it in a shade over 9. OK, not exactly mind-bending, but it's a *big* difference.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I have had a N95 and am now on a N95 8gb. first thing to do is turn off all WEP and security on the router and see if it can connect then, if it can then the 95 may be struggling with your router, mine works perfect with WEP and a Netgear Rangemax router, most routers should be fine though.

Have a good read on this forum, its pretty good......

Get the phone debranded and also get it changed to the generic build, then you can reflash the firmware to the latest.

There is an APP called SymSMB v.1.10, this program turns your phone into a proper wireless device, so you can copy and send files to and from the PC, it does cost though :(

Reply to
Ronny

It is an 8Gb one. It says it is connected to my WLAN - but I can't get it to access any site.

Ok.

I bought it unlocked if that's the same thing. And according to the PC link business it has the latest software.

I've succeeded in doing that via USB - not sure I'm bothered about having that wireless.

I'm actually on PAYG - I only really wanted it for the decent camera and radio etc. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)