[OT] oldest e-mail?

was clearing my e-mails down a bit and dunno if you lot are like me but i often never bother :)

anyway started at the bottom to clear some old junk in my inbox as it was over 2000 e-mails stored hehe and the oldest e-mail i had was from a mate back in 2001! anyone got anything or deleted anything older than that lately?

Reply to
Vamp

31.10.99 :)
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well as a rule I keep everything, and try to archive it in different folders by the month, so the inbox doesn't take a year to load. But I'm on a few email groups, and get a lot of spam, and the other day set up about 20 rules on OE to put stuff in a load of dedicated folders for this that and the other. It makes it a whole lot easier to highlight and delete the spam, as 99% of what's left is spam.

I've had a couple of hard disk failures in the last couple of years, so a lot of old mails are lost and gone forever - only goes back to the start of 2004.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Got stuff archived back to August '99 on CD-ROM somewhere.

Reply to
SteveH

Turnpike mailspool from 1996.

Don't have anything earlier than that.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

1999 is when we got the iMac, I have nothing left from my PC days now.

Before that, everything was on the University mainframe, and not archived anywhere.

Reply to
SteveH

Oldest I have ATM is 2000, but I did have a good clear out about 6 months ago, and dumped about 3k emails that were old, out of date, or just un filtered junk and s**te.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

My Turnpike environment has been migrated from Windows 3.1 to 2000 via

95, 98 and NT 4. Oldest email on my Mac will be from 2001, since I abandoned Mac in 1998 then returned with an iMac SE in 2001.

Prior to that, I used a local ISP on the Mac, which is lost now, and before that it wasn't t'internet for me, it was Fidonet and BBSen on Apple II and Mac/Lisa-MacXL.

I could cheat, and dig around my older boxes. I know I once had an SGI Indy with email from 1994 on it, and one NeXT had email from 1992.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

No doubt I could find some bits and pieces on 3.5" floppy if I dig out the Amiga, but I really can't see the point.

Reply to
SteveH

I had some from, iirc 1998/1999 before the great western digital 120 disaster of 2004....

Reply to
DanTXD

03/2004 on the desktop, would probably be 07/2003 on the lappy but its dead now. Pc's just keep dyin and i rarely have anythin exciting enough to stick on a cd. Anythin that i have put on cd is never used and gets kicked around the floor until i eventually throw it out
Reply to
Chet

wow you took your amiga online! i remember my A1200 whatta beast that was hehe in the loft i think now along with the A500, i must of been like 8-10 years old when i was using them hehe. remember my mate giving me a disk with some scans out of some sci fi mag he had and the amiga would take years just to load up a 100k jpg file :)

never took my amiga online, internet was way exspensive back then and well there was f*ck all on it, might of even been text only still! i didn't see the net till my dad brought home his high quality B&W laptop back from the BBC (where he used to work at the time) complete with 9k modem :)

Reply to
Vamp

If you want to relive those glory days, I'll sell you a nice A500 Plus with A570 CD-ROM ;)

Got an A1200 here, sold it to a friend - it's got a 40MHz '030 and 32Mb RAM, plus 3Gb HD. Horrid thing, I can't stand Amigas - so much wasted potential for the sake of saving a few bucks. Still, not quite as bad as the Atari Falcon for missing the boat.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

That's what I have in the garage. Still have a couple of the old B&W dotmatrix printers I used with it, too. (I couldn't justify the cost of an LC10 Colour at the time)

Reply to
SteveH

My inbox goes back to 98 - I have some usenet posts going back to 93 or so....

Oldest emails I have are fidonet stuff from 88/89 on amiga floppies...

Reply to
chris

1990 archived somewhere i'm sure.

I have no idea why.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

You were sending emails in 1990 when you were 7 years old?

Reply to
Grant

8 years old (ish). Thats when my dad first introduced me the internet/e-mail. He's always worked in computing (still does) and introduced me at an early age. I actually have a qualification in pascal programming (how useful!!) from when I was 12.

I've always been into comuters and I think I still have the machine the e-mails where sent to/from in the loft somewhere. I presume they are on there still :o)

Sad I know but i'm a hoarder.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Me too - people's travel patterns between home and work has always fascinated me.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan