OT: phones (mobile)

As I'm coming to the end of my contract I'm up for a new mobile, after much consideration I plumped for the N95 and popped in to get one this week. Nice and easy, until I got into the shop where I was totally ignored (not had that since I went to look at a 350Z). Unfortunately while in there sitting on the desk were a few iPhones (I had decided long ago they don't have as good a spec as the N95 and they are stupidly expensive for what you get) so I picked one up and had a play "bugger" I thought it's not as well speced but it's really nice. So come on guts talk me out of it and save me the ~£300 difference, after all if I start with an iPhone where is next, MR2s and "designer" haircuts!

Reply to
Depresion

It doesn't have 3G, which is kind of essential for a mobile internet tablet, it can't send or receive MMS messages or act as a modem for your laptop.

Which means it's a pretty useles as anything other than a very expensive coaster.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH wrote of the iPhone:

I actually quite often use my phone for phoning people. And I often wish my phone had WiFi and a decent sized screen.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You need a second generation iPhone when it's released, then....

The iPhone will become a great device, but at the moment it's specced for the US market where 3G and MMS aren't as popular as they are in Europe.

Reply to
SteveH

Exactly. In a recent side by side test on The Gadget Show, the N95 beat the iPod.

Reply to
Conor

I'm inclined to agree with you. On paper, it looks, well okay. In the flesh, the interface is pretty shiny funky.

I suspect that as a device, your mileage may vary. :) Surely not. By all accounts, it's an okay handset wrapped up with a lovely interface. If you are a "power user" by all accounts a BlackBerry is a superior piece of kit. If you like your devices all arty and funky, and you like to pose, you'll love the iPhone. If you find must modern handsets' menu systems too annoying, again, the iPhone may hit the spot.

Personally, £300 is too much for something that will be obsolete very, very quickly and in a years time, you'll look like another mug with more money than sense. :)

Me? If I were interested I'd be waiting for the second or third generation device.

Not sure it'll be a "great" device one day. Watch that space.

Reply to
DervMan

I've been tempted by the BlackBerry but it's a bit clunky to actually use. (Maybe that's just stubby thumbs)

Reply to
Depresion

The pearl's keyboard is horrible, but the curve is fine. Shame about the lack of 3G though - only thing that stops me getting one.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It seems that the ipod touch does most of the iphone stuff without the actual phone bit. I would be tempted to buy an ipod touch and an, errr, phone :-)

You know, for like phoning people and stuff.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The tocuh needs unlocking to get at the interesting bits but yes it works and apparently can be used for VoIP, although fucknose how. Someone I know has one and is very happy with it. However since my music occupies 50GB on my current iPod I won't be getting a touch until they up the storage to something sensible.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've read quite a few reports of them becoming iPodBricks with screen failures already though - so maybe best to hold off for a little while.

Reply to
Iridium

Thats what i intend to do, i had an iphone for a few days but calls and texting was a joke. I only miss it for the wifi web browsing

Chet

Reply to
Chet

Sony Ericsson have a new PDA-style touchscreen thing named the P1i. I liked it, but wouldn't have used all the features all that often, so returned it and cancelled the contract, but otherwise very good phone, not as chic as the iPhone, but that's not really the point of it, it's business.

Reply to
Tyr

You forgot to mention the Barryboys website Ian.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ok quick update, went with the N95. Not a bad deal: £30 a month, 500 min, 100 texts, unlimited web browsing, free phone.

Reply to
Depresion