OT: Post about car modifying

Is somethin like this a bit pointless without building a rolling road in the garden? Given that i'm about to start builing my 'proper' turbo engine for the 19 i'd like somethin a bit better than an off the shelf chip.

I'd really rather not get it then melt my nice forged pistons :)

Reply to
Chet

why not, your mad and your irish :)

surprised at you not having a RR in your garden, shame on you :)

Reply to
Vamp

That IS seriously cool tho :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In article , snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Thats looks great mate.

You really have to build a full on back yard Dyno now. Speak to Burgerman. He has some experience in that field.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Just got a mail from them about it, 300 euro for the whole lot. It'd kinda be rude not to at that price.

Reply to
Chet

Since nobody has mentioned them, I had hold of a widget a while back that was essentially a rolling road. It sat in the car and talked to a laptop, and contained an accelerometer with GPS calibration which basically told you your acceleration and speed in 10,000ths of a second steps.

What you do, is find a suitably straight and empty road and give it some pedal, the laptop chortles away and tabulates your specific power output against revs, at the wheels, with that throttle position.

If you also have OBD or sommat you can record things like throttle position sensor and fuel usage and s**te to really go into detail.

I dunno where to buy one. Ebay probably has some but not got a url.

Anyway, with one of these you can easily do "before and after" comparisons in a variety of different scenarios (hills, windy roads, etc.)

It's probably illegal to use them on the public road, e.g. "racing or speed testing" or sommat, but heck, the chance of being found out has to be pretty tiny unless you try to test acceleration in rush hour or sommat.

Reply to
Questions

You used to be able to buy something in the 60s/70s that did much the same, I believe it attached to your rev counter wire and simply measured the time to get from a set rpm point to another, if you know the weight of the car and gearing and so on you can get a pretty good estimate of power, if you don't it still tells you if the changes you make were good or bad. You can pretty much do this with just a stopwatch if you have a lot of patience.....

I think David Vizard wrote and article about them at one time, said they were good.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

They are

I picked up a basic G-Tech Pro from eBay a while back for £30, and it's rather nice. Never got round to using it though :D

Reply to
Nom

For my new 2.0 low comp engine i'm goin to need a new chip from them - 275 euro

The above r-tuner premapped with the 2.0 chip is 300, definately goin for it

Reply to
Chet