OT: Snow and RWD

Snow and RWD.

Yummy.

Gotta go to work and pilot my van around the mean streets of this city till half 10.

If I'm not back in 24hours, send a search party...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Must admit we had fun last night. Just annoyed I cant drive again yet :o(

Reply to
Mason

We did try to "do a clarkson" and write the word "cosworth" in the snow . The "c" went fine but it all went a pit wrong after that.

maybe it says cosworth in arabic :o)

Reply to
Mason

You have snow? Damn you northerners!! Old Volvo you dont care about + snowy country lanes was a major highlight last year (or was it this year?)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

aye it snowed really heavily last night here. been brilliant :o)

Reply to
Mason

In article , rmason@plusdotcom spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

We got a tiny little soggy splash of heavy sleet. Nothing more. Rest of the country can we white, we just get wet.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

We got some, didn't settle.

Got in the 206 this morning, it beeped and the on board computer screen thingy said 'Ice Alert' :) Temp at -2 right now on my way home.

Reply to
DanTXD

Addendum: Refrigerated Sprinter box vans can be persuaded to drift.

For much of today it was also warmer inside the refrigerated part of the van than it was outside.

As a result, I also learned how to turn the fridge off which means more power to the wheels. Does that make this post on topic? (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The last time we had snow (Nth London) I was pootling about in the kit car (1300 Rickmam Ranger with M&S tyres) and I wondered why everyone was going soooo slowly? As soon as I got a clear bit off I went and only when being 'silly' did it break traction. Then I had to swap to the Sierra and only then did I realise what the others might be experiencing .. ;-)

Years and years ago I was doing similar in my Moggy Minor Van (narrow tryes = good for snow) .. then we went in my mates Mexico and tried to do the same (wide tyres = no good for snow) .. we nearly took a wall down on a country lane corner .. all at 10 mph .. ;-(

Have fun ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Best snow car I've owned was a Fiat Panda 4x4 - 60mph, dry road becomes snow, pull the lever to engage the dog clutch (well, I had no manual to say I couldn't) and carry on at 60. Skinny tyres, no centre diff, minimal intertia. Fantastic. Shame you can't find them anymore. I would quite seriously swap my Supra for a minted J-plate Sisley. (I could always get another Supra ;) ).

Close second hand to be my Citroen Dyane.

Worst car I've driven in snow was my gf's Scorpio with worn rear tyres. Absolutely fecking evil, with traction control that basically rendered the vehicle immobile when enabled, and NO LSD so it went sideways everywhere when it moved at all. I was being passed by Volvo 740s and not amused in the slightest, but did get home eventually. 225/50/16s.

The Supra has the same tyres. I'm considering bestowing 'SORN' upon it for winter ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Erm, you do know that you're not meant to do 60mph in 4wd mode, don't you?

Not that it stopped me when I had one as a courtesy car.

Reply to
SteveH

Actually, you're not meant to change above 15mph, or run in 4x4 on anything other than loose surfaces such as snow, ice, mud or sand/gravel, because the tranny winds up. You can drive as fast as you like with the 4x4 engaged as long as it's the correct surface ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

So if I find you one we can do a straight swap Richard? ;-)

Mum had a std 2wd Panda and ignoring its small size and safety etc it was a hoot. 10 quids woth of juce would last a year and parts were easy / cheap. And the timing chain on non 'fire engined' models would clatter away forever ;-)

Well .. Mum's one didn't .. it got driven over by a Tank! Because it was so rusty we drove it up to Duxford and gave it to them as an on camp runabout. When it finally gave up they parked it in the middle of a 'reserved area' on an open day and put out PA message asking "would the owner of the Fiat Panda reg XYZ remove it straight away" etc .. after the 3 call and once they had everyones attention they squashed it!

A bunch of my biker mates had them for the winter .. even a poor heater is better than no heater .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Gotta be mint, mind. No rust, all original, ideally with twin sunroofs and the roofrack 'available' but not fitted.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

The carb jets freeze up in real cold weather... when driving...

Ouch.

Reply to
Carl Smith