OT:Spamfiltering <lol>

Just been testing some spam filtering software which is infact very good for my company, and am just about to buy it so I checked the price,

50 users mailbox's for exchange 2000 is $420.00 or £295.00 if in the uk

So I ran a currency converter and noticed $420.00 is infact 235 quid, am I being anal or would you pay 60 quid more for a internet product that you download from USA?

The email I got back after pointing this out is :

Thanks once again for your mail.

Since you are a UK customer if you order online the UK prices will apply.

The price difference is caused by higher local costs such as tax, rent, staff salaries and fulfilment costs.

With Best Regards,

Should it read "

Since you are a UK customer if you order online the UK prices will apply."

Amazed

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Err why not simply go for freeware? If it's for company use and if security is important to you then you should be using MS stuff at all, really. Linux + qmail as your MTA then pick any of the freeware add-ons for qmail to perform mailfiltering.

It's that easy. I use the setup for me and five users, one of my clients uses the same for over 4,000 users and they are (supposedly) a MS-only workplace, but even they aren't daft enough to use an insecure (broken) Microsoft mail server as their first line of defence against the rest of the world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Because the company wants backup I spose, I'm an MCSE so tend to stick with what I know etc etc.

Linux has its uses though

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

I agree with Steve`s comments on this.

Steve Firth wrote:

Reply to
Mark

I only have a few users and have to use a M$ box, but I use the free Mail Enable

server with the Spamahaus SBL and new XBL DNS blacklisting. I have found it STUNNINGLY effective even without the Spamassassin filtering which filters the emails that actually manage to get delivered to the mailboxes.

Oh, forgot to add I use

to block all connections from Brazil, China, Korea, Nigeria and Russia. I will probably add a few more but they are probably blocking as much spam as Spamhaus.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Typical *nix user. :) :)

a well setup MS site is pretty secure :) its fair to say that a basic unix, linux setup is not overly secure.!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

hehe the old linux/unix vs Windows affair :)

They both have there advantages and disavantages.

Personally I like windows, but dont like companys charging 2 different amounts for the same product because we live in england

Reply to
Ron

Two reasons. One, because almost (almost) all of it simply isn't as good. Two, because the rest of the world uses Microsoft products, and it makes life SO MUCH easier if you do the same.

Then you'll keep all your Microsoft software patched upto date - ditto your AntiVirus software - and security isn't a problem. I support 500 PCs at work, on an 8MB net connection, and we have no problems with security at all.

Ha ! That's a far too sweeping statement. Many places of work, mine included, simply couldn't operate without Microsoft stuff.

Why ?

Once I've added on the cost of training our 3500 users to use a different set of OS/software, then the "freeware" stuff costs MORE than the Microsoft stuff ! And it's not as good.

No.

It's not.

We use Microsoft's mail server. It's not broken, the security is fine provding you keep it patched upto date, and we have no problems whatsoever with our "first line of defence against the rest of the world".

Reply to
Nom

Agreed.

But, the fact that EVERYONE else uses Windows, means the choice is pretty much a formality !

Agreed.

How big's your company ? If you're on any of Microsoft's Select/Partner style schemes, you'll already have Office 2003. The built-in AntiSpam stuff in Outlook 2003 is pretty good. Give it a go before you shell out money - I've found it works just fine.

Reply to
Nom

Yup same here nom, no problems with MS products, the people who do have problems stick there head in the sand and leave unpatched, unmanaged servers, the "its been fine for 6 years"brigade

you know who I mean

If MS products didnt need patching/ looking after I would be out of a job, I also look after Macafee EPO company wide which works great, :)

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Same here :)

Reply to
Nom

theres a harsh comment about how much MCSEs know in there somewere... :>

Reply to
pi

a well setup MS site is secure compared to a badly set up MS site, compare it to one running *nix, i'm not overly obsesssed with any OS, so long as i can get it doing what i want, how i want i'm happy. However, not getting 0wn3d is something i care about, so if i wanted to, say, serve files, MS products would be a bit counterproductive.

...pi

MS Enterprise stuff - compatible with all new worms

Reply to
pi

is being able to press 'Next' the extent of the MCSE training, or do they go onto that advanced 'Cancel' stuff as well?

Reply to
pi

should apologise for the lovely grammar there..

Reply to
pi

i always thought MS operating systems were designed so they could be used by eejits without training? MCSEs a a bit of a rip if ya ask me (unless, like i suspect you did, and get your employers to pay)

Reply to
pi

never had any problems round here that wern't solved with 30mins of tinkering.

Reply to
pi