OT: Speed Camera / Radar Detectors - which one on a budget?

I'm going to buy one. Anyone got any recommendations? Helpful ones, not like "slow down" or "use your eyes"... something like this seems to do just what I'm after. Not interested in too flash or too expensive, mainly for motorway use as I don't speed around town anyway, but I'm covering 800-1000 miles a week on the motorway, and yes, I do tend to cruise over the speed limit - 90 + when safe - I want a "helping hand" as well as my eyes to spot the bastards on bridges in vans as I apparently missed one

10 days ago :-( Well, so the NIP says.

This seems to be OK

Any thoughts? Don't really want to spend a great deal, but I will if it helps me keep my licence.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

I'm not au fait with the various models on the market but for a GPS+laser+radar unit that seems very cheap indeed.

And I don't doubt that you'll get the usual "holier than thou" crowd but I once borrowed one of the original Geodessy GPS thingies and boy was I more relaxed while driving. I don't tend to speed (having a 1.0 micra helps) but at the time I had a 2.0 turbo car and it was very easy to drive a bit too fast on a clear road, so it was great having it.

Reply to
fishman

Hello,

I wouldn't buy a SNOOPER, I used one and it didn't detect Lasers very well unless the beam was pointed right into the unit. The radar paert of it went off at every set of traffic lights, every crossing, every shop doorway, mobile phone site etc etc. By the time the Laser or RADAR beam from a trap has hit the unit and triggered it - your photograph is already being printed out. It does that far faster than you will have time to slow down. (Then there is the menace of unmarked video cars.) They do work to some extent, but you shouldn't rely on it as you will be fined and/or banned in no time. The vans do sit some distance from the traffic they are going for, and know where to position themselves.

I really wouldn't waste your money. Radar and Laser detectors are nothing more than an expensive toy. The GPS based ones show speed and traffic light cameras, but do not detect them. The same way as you can load up a database into a TomTom navigator to show them all. Then you get a navigation system too.

I can't see why we have a 70mph limit on a motorway when a lot of cars are capable of handling at speeds well above that. It's ONLY inappropriate speed that kills anyway. 90+ on a clear motorway seems fair enough. Most would use common sense anyway.

Have you seen all this rubbish about hangind CDs from the mirror inside the car - all the stupid boy racers are copying each other thinking it makes them immune from speed traps. In a similar way that a big exhaust makes the car have another 50BHP ! Some idiots on motorbikes do it too. Look out for that one, it doesn't work by the way!

Reply to
news

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't intending to rely on it, just give me a helping hand. Thats's the first one I missed in 10 years of tearing around the country for work!

This is only too true. Problem is, not enough people use their common sense, or are "safe" drivers. All too often I still get tailgated at 95+, and in my Xantia, if I hit the brakes, it stops very quickly indeed! Best brakes I've ever had in any car!

Now, I have personal experience of this and it isn't total rubbish. 90% bullshit, but it does actually work. I've been stopped on a bike after being got by a mobile hand held camera. The copper told me I was lucky because he couldn't get a decent reading because the gun occasionally gets confused with bikes as it can reflect of the lights , then maybe the helmet or the screen and can give spurious readings. I just got a producer!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Basically then, just get a big FOAD mirror and strap it to your front bumper ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Not sure that would work - something to do with uneven surfaces and the beam relflecting back off two surfaces that aren't in the same place confusing it..

Reply to
Mike P

Educated guess:

There will be two refections slightly out of time due to the diference in distance betweeen the helmet and the front of the bike

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

sorry shouldn't he have gone to barryboys?

Reply to
Mason