OT: v6 what's the point!

Crap. I used to launch my GTR by revving it to 8 grand and side stepping the clutch.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You're right. The biggest problem with the Subaru is the delicate drivetrain. Generally you will do the gearbox before the diff but I just got mine back after having the diff done.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Read Peter Hil's post............. fuckwitt. And isnt the E30 316i a 4 cylinder engine????

Reply to
REMUS

Thats what i've tried to put accross, some people only see what they want to see though.

Reply to
REMUS

Yeah, I still think they're just a fashion. It's that V thing init.

Reply to
Johnny

The WRX didn't have 4WD? How odd.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It also doesn't mean that you'll get the fastest 1/4 mile and it does mean that you'll break most 4WDs. I've seen in done fairly reproducibly on Diablo VTs, the lead footed journalist sticks it in second, revs to where they guess peak torque is and drops the clutch. Big bang, big expensive bang and bugger all else. If the transmission on the 4WD doesn't break, which seems more luck than anything else, all that really happens is that the revs drop and you take off no faster than you would it you got the revs right in the first place.

You'll notice that on cars that have launch control wheelspin isn't used at all. And those cars accelerate far faster than drivers can manage with wheelspin without launch control. And the transmissions don't fail they way they used to either.

Reply to
Steve Firth

ROFL !

Before you've even started with the rest, one of them is 4x4 and one is RWD ! They couldn't really BE more different !!!

Er, no. One is a sleek sports coupe, one is a boxy saloon.

See above.

Precisely ! The differences you quote, are just as likely to be down to aerodynamics and transmission, than the differing engines.

Your "392cc lower capacity" is completely meaningless. As blown engines, it doesn't matter what capacity they are - it's the boost that defines the power.

Reply to
Nom

Lots

Lots

All of them :)

Reply to
Nom

So are you :)

Reply to
Nom

Actually they are both coupes.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

define a coupe

Reply to
Theo

In my book it's a 2 door, 2+2 seat sports mobile with a sloping back.

Reply to
Johnny

An enclosed single-compartment body with two doors and varying passenger capacity depending on seat arrangements. The SAE standard J1100 defines it as having less than 33 cubic feet of interior volume. Larger coupes have rear quarter windows. Coupes have fixed permanent back panels and top, as well as a luggage compartment in the rear deck.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

IMHO, the Skyline is a chopped 2-door saloon, the 300ZX is a Coupe.

eg. Honda Civic / Accord 'coupes' are nothing more than chopped 2-door saloons. The Prelude, however, is a 'coupe'.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm pretty certain it doesnt have to have 2 doors, there was an old rover coupe thing round the corner from me and that was a coupe

Reply to
Theo

Thanks. The point is that the V6 in the 300ZX can't be run to 1000bhp due to material problems and not at all due it being a V6. An inline

6 made from aluminum alloy would have the same problems with bore strength.

The alloy 4 cylinder SR20DET is bored and has thick steel liners put in for high power use (>600bhp up to 800bhp). This maybe possible for the 300ZX but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Maybe the bores are too close to get thickwall liners in but that still is not due to it being a V6 or the I6 being better.

The 300ZX runs two T25 turbos. The GT-R runs two T28 turbos. Choice of turbo is nothing at all to do with one being a V6 and the other an I6 but it has lot to do with power production. My 200SX 1.8 has a T25, the 10psi peak boost is at 3000rpm and will drop a bit as revs rise so even if I set the boost higher it would still be down to 10psi by 6K rpm. Fitting a T28 is a common mod, it allows 15psi boost, removes the fall in boost at high rpm but it peaks later and has a bit more lag.

Would you like to compare the Skyline GT-R to a current Porsche flat

6? The flat 6 is like an opened out V6. One production Porsche turbo is making 444bhp with the enhanced pack and will piss all over a stock GT-R.

Peter Hill

2 door car.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

see previous post.

Reply to
Theo

No need - you know exactly what I mean !

Reply to
Nom