OT water cooled!

thought i'd give the old PC an update over the weekend.

bought a water cooling kit, new graphics card with 1gb ram on it and a

500gig HDD. my system is only a P4 3Ghz and i don't have much cash so i decided to make best of what i have. i water cooled because my comp has always run hot, actually every comp i've had has run hot except my AMD K6/2 (going back a bit there) my CPU temp has gone from 60c to a cool 35-40c when the CPU was worked hard it would hit 70c and become VERY slow but now it stays just under 50c when totally maxed out which isn't to bad! the temp in the whole system has dropped. makes me wonder if the original fan did anything? did check it and it was on there properly and everything. still so far so good and the system has made a MASSIVE improvement in general running. feels like a new comp!

i've not done the graphics card yet or the new HDD but them 2 things alone could give me a nice even newer feeling comp!

plan to get a quad core CPU and motherboard for xmas.

water kit was new at £78 the graphics card was new-ish cheap from a mate due to a shipping f*ck up (they sent him 2 ages ago!) so gave him 20quid for that worth bout 60 odd quid i think and bout 10 times better than the age old one in there now! and the HDD was from a local shop on offer for £35 also new :)

Reply to
Vamp

Nice dude :-) I've often wondered about water cooling just, well, for kicks really. My old PC was always hot, numbers very similar to yours pre-water but it was just a big ass Athlon. Now I've gone to a Core 2 Duo it runs mental cool, idles at about 30, this been in a cupboard with the door shut and the back pretty close to the wall, like 3 or 4 inches. My desk has a drawer and a cupboard at either side, and the left one is slightly wider to accomodate a PC. When I used to shut the door with the athlon in there it'd go through the roof with the temps hehe, the once I stress tested it, it hit like 80c or 90c or so and the program monitoring it shut my PC down :-)

Now with the Core 2 Duo it doesn't go over like, 45c, might not go over 40 or even 35 actually, I can't remember and it's off at the moment heh, but let's just say compared to my old one it's pretty cool... This is with the standard Intel fan and stuff that came with the CPU. It was running about

50c cos when I installed the cooler, I didn't put any silver on, and it turned out, it wasn't secured down properly heh! So random temps seemed to be which part of the CPU was working or something, and a little bit of it wasn't making contact with the heat sink. Or something like that :-) Anyway, I cleaned the stock goop properly, silvered it, and made sure it was on properly this time, and the temps dropped to what they're at now.
Reply to
DanB

ALL the AMD systems i had after my K6/2 over heated badly that's why i went back and stuck with intel, still ran warm but not scary 'lets shut down pc halfway through a game' warm. i couldn't use my old AMD systems at all in summer time lol water cooling is cool (pardon the pub) and mine is SUPER quiet apart from the PSU now, might see if i can replace that for a quieter one be nice.

Reply to
Vamp

Yea my Intel just seems to work better as well. The Athlon ones always had the odd niggle, or like, sometimes crashed or I got the BSOD. I know this could probably be fixed with a day of a full on IT tech from AMD routing through and fiddling with core files or something, but like, I just don't have that luxury :-) My Intel though, on Vista 64, never crashes, never BSOD's me and generally just works perfectly. Shame I can't use it more these days really and I use this lappy (also Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5ghz (PC is

2.14ghz iirc)) all the time.
Reply to
DanB

Water is just so yesterday! :o)

John

Heh - I did a similar task, however mine took an odd direction.

I've been running an old P3 as a home mail server, drawing about 100w, and my main PC 24/7 as a video server as well as everything else, drawing about

180-240w depending on usage.

So I built a new one, base on an Atom processor board, in an Antec case with an "eco" power supply and now my 500GB media server (not moved the mail to it until I'm sure it's stable) draws 37W.

That should help the electricity bill a bit!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

37w?! I think my USB hub that lights up pretty colours draws more than that...
Reply to
DanB

LOL!

Reply to
DervMan

Heh - I'm playing with the thing now, installed virtual server 2005 on it, now installing vista in a virtual machine on it to run media sharing better...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp