OT: WOOHOO

See my reply to your post about big, fast cars, regarding Aeros. Prices, specs and details and what you can do if it bores you in the end (the car that is).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Try again. Just under 1500 unladen.

Reply to
Lordy

200Kg more than a 620 TI, even though the TI is longer with a cast-iron engine ?
Reply to
Nom

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

I did :)

Reply to
Nom

No.

Thats your view of decent. I'd base my car purchasing on what i need/want at the time. If i want a quick FWd hot hatch then i will almost always turn to the 80s/early 90s cars where the driving isnt diluted by emission regs/ electronic gubbins/ safety features etc. A 309 GTi will instantly attract me as a decent car. If i want someting comfortable to drive to work then i may well go for something more modern.

Again, modern certainly doesnt mean decent!!! The same way old doesnt necessarily mean crap!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Newer body-in-white, therefore further re-inforcement for crash protection. Auto gearboxes possibly, for the weight given - that often makes a difference. More standard equipment; more airbags etc. Is the V6 iron block?

The 620 is a Japanese car, essentially. Lightweight, efficient design.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

1990 Digifant Golf Mk II GTi 8v.

I simply cannot think of a better compromise between fun, economy, performance, practicality and reliability. Comfortable enough for a 380 mile drive with one stop for food and /no/ stops for fuel, capable of an easy 85 cruise with plenty left over for passing, and engines good for

300K+ miles if correctly maintained. No catalytic converter, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, 120ish top speed, yet 46mpg is a realistic average and when driving for economy, I got a genuine 52mpg on a 25 mile drive.

Richard (it's one of the very few non-weird cars that I love).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Indeed - i owned one for a while (although only drove it a couple of times) and was most impressed with its feel. Although build quality wasnt quite what it was reputed to be - no better than a Pug of similar age (unless it was just a deceptive dud). Would have like to keep it, but the insurance company put paid to that! Would like to own one again at some point, especially to compare it to the 16v and a 205GTi.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Don't forget that we're talking about the real 900 here - now normally referred to as the 'C900' (Classic 900) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way they handle or ride.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, I'm on what I'd consider to be a rather more than 'decent' salary, and I _much_ prefer to spend £500-£1k on a car than take out a loan for a rapidly repreciating money pit.

There's plenty of so-called 'modern' cars out there that are vastly inferior to drive than older cars.

eg. Pug 205GTi - it's still one of the ultimate hot-hatches, and no-one seems to be able to really top it's feel and performance.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd have one of them, preferably a Goodwood :)

Ah, but that was something special :) Pug outdid themselves there.

Reply to
Dan405

They did? - when?

I assume you're talking about the 206GTi-180. Which is quick, but doesn't quite have the same driver appeal as the 205 did.

Reply to
SteveH

I think Dan was actually implying that the french automotive world, if not the entire universe peaked with the 205GTi.

I used to have a 205 Diesel, it demanded respect on slippy wet roundabouts, but was a real hoot to drive. An S reg ex Postie Escort van is the closest I've come, it's actually more fun but is less refined, has a horrid engine in comparison, is dog slow (yes, there are slower things than a diesel 205) and weird, wooden steering.

I think modern cars are becoming more and more toned down for safety. 206's and 307's arent nearly as much fun.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Fuck, f*ck, f*ck.

It's been a long day and I completely misread that post. (that's what 160 miles of A40/M50/M5/M42 and M40 does for you)

Ooops.

Reply to
SteveH

From what i've heard its not as 'raw' as the original. Its made for posers who want to drive relatively quickly. The 205 was made for the driver, and looks pretty good at the same time.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Never understood why people would go for the Camaro over the Trans-Am. They're so similar mechanically/design wise but the Trans-Am wipes the floor with the Camaro in the beauty stakes IMO. Can you give me any reasons? I currently have a 91 Trans-Am and am looking at going for a 98 onwards model with the LS1 engine. But I'm still considering Camaros if the price is right ;-)

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
Dan Roberts

its not renowned at all. in fact its a complete barge in the looks dept and such features may have caused this to happen....

Reply to
Theo

it wouldnt, the 205 is a rattly shit box made of a crisp packet and no dound deadening, and as such would make it more involving, odd formula....but it works.

Reply to
Theo

No one's doubting /why/ it's heavy tho, just pointing out that it /is/ heavy :)

Reply to
Lordy

Yea i meant the 205 GTi was were it was at :)

Although, the 206 GTi 180 IS nice and i would have one - doesn't half shift when you press the loud pedal :)

Reply to
Dan405