(ot) Yanks

Just reading a US forum where there is talk of the Toyota Prius.

" Sure they have the little prius " " super-sub compacts "

Super sub Compact! Not as we would say a 4 door family car.

Reply to
Depresion

And what really amazes me is that when installing windows and lots of other software, English is presumed to be amarican, and I have to scroll down and find a special version of english called "british english" like ours is the one thats wrong!

Reply to
Burgerman

Don't even try and fathom it man...

Reply to
REMUS

Still you have to feel sorry for them paying $2.99 a Gallon for petrol.

Reply to
Depresion

I wouldnt mind but I had a yank correcting my spelling recently! He thinks a Cheque should be a Check!

Reply to
Burgerman

I work for a US based company do I constantly have to "Americanize" my documents...

Reply to
Andy Connolly

There are two models, the earlier really is tiny, the latter one is closer to a full size. Neither are sub-compact. The Focus is considered a Compact, the Geo Metro would be a sub-compact.

The poster is wrong.

Mind you, some folk consider anything with under eight cylinders to be a compact. They give their three year old grandchildren four banger, four stroke toys...

Reply to
DervMan

Why would that amaze you if the software was designed for the American market?

Reply to
DervMan

And the rest.

When I married Charlie, unleaded was creeping up to the $1 for a US gallon.

It's closer to $4 now.

Two years ago unleaded was around 72p per litre in Yorkshire. Last year it was around 82p per litre. Now it's around 92p per litre (and a little bit).

When I married Charlie, proper fuel (that would be DIESEL not this weany thin unleaded stuff) was around 62p per litre, petrol about the same too.

Reply to
DervMan

The American is correct, Americans have checking accounts rather than our quaint "cheque" spelling.

Reply to
DervMan

That's seems to be the average price being quoted by them on line this week, some people in the south (FL) are paying "Normal stations are $3.199 and Sam's is $2.929 for members, $2.969 for nonmembers."

but:

" Salisbury, NC $2.999 "

They are todays prices, last week Richmond VA $2.56 and over the weekend Sacramento CA $ 3.09

Oddly no one has posted about the cost of DERV over there.

Reply to
Depresion

Only the bigger pickups (RAMs etc), tractors and wagons use DERV. It isn't a popular car fuel.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I have read somewhere that the Saab 900 is considered a Compact, but the Saab 9000 was considered a large car, even though there is little in it. The 9000 has much bigger interior thanks to the transverse engine, so counts as a bigger car than a 900. Kind of makes sense. Not the physical size of the vehicle, but the passenger/luggage carrying capacity for that size.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I paid 96.9 for regular unleaded in Staxton at Shell tonight. Optimax was

101.9.
Reply to
DanTXD

because, english is and was ours. it was born here and developed here, way before the europeans ever discovered america...

And to be technically correct, english, should be the default (thats the correct and original english as spoken by the english! ffs) and american english should be on the list of languages... as british english is! please excuse the lack of caps, my keyboard really is bust! and its a microsoft one...

Reply to
Burgerman

The C900 looks tiny next to a new passat or mondeo - it's the narrow width that does it. The 9K is about as long but considerably wider. Loved the interior, room to swing a cat and then some :-)

Reply to
john

I have to change it to Australian English which is 1/2 way between the two and has words like cobber added. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It's not relevant to 95% of people.

Reply to
DervMan

Some circles might view it that way! Generally, the Escort / Focus is considered a Compact. The Omega would be a Full Size, which puts the Saab

900 / Vectra / Mondeo class as between the two. The 3-series is quaintly considered "near luxury" in some circles. :)

It's also cost and percieved size...

Yeah that would figure.

Reply to
DervMan

That's utter bollucks. Nobody has the right to talk in any one language. It's no more ours than theirs than his or hers.

That's also utter tosh: English didn't just spring up from the United Kingdom. Either way it's irrelevant, unless you believe English to be a British island that sprung up from the United Kingdom and has no influence from other languages elsewhere?

No it should not be. Why so? There's nothing to stop Russian, Chinese, German, whatever as being the "main" language. If the default goes on the majority language of the users then it could be American English, Indian or Chinese. Limey English would probably not be in the top five.

You're wrong. The statement "English is out language" is arrogant, brash and offensive. Y'all just confirming why it was right that the limeys were kicked out of America.

Reply to
DervMan