Overheating Cosworths

Went to Ford Fair at the weekend . . . had the typical hour of waiting to get into the grounds to the stands, again.

Quite cool this, from a certain perspective, because after half an hour, the Cosworth brigade start looking worries as their numbers dwindle owing to overheating . . . saw several Cosworths driving past at 20 mph with steam billowing out of their bonnet vents.

I guess the Escort Cosworths' front wing vents help! :)

But you'd think that people would make sure their cooling system is up to spec, or uprated, before they fit a stage two turbocharged donk, heh!

Or do all Cosworths overheat in heavy traffic on a hot day. Surely not!

Reply to
DervMan

I'm sure some did, but most just joined the back of the queue like the rest of us . . .

Heh! Trouble is, it wasn't possible to hunker along at 60 or so.

Reply to
DervMan

heat soak the fans can't cope and so everything fries did you see the one who had made it to the roundabout at the entrance and then decided it had had enough and went "poof!"?

in saying that, the most alarming thing about it was the fact that 6 cossies got nicked from the "secure" car park and someone threw paint over one of the cars for sale

Reply to
dojj

My mates scort did today, much to my amusement as I was sitting behind him in the Saab which was happily sitting between 1/2 and 3/4 on the gauge. Oh and the bloody great kenlow fan might help ;-)

Reply to
**-**

Damn, where was it this year. Damn. Totally missed it. Damn. %-(

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah. I *never* had a problem keeping my old cav turbo cool, sit at 80 all day, would rise in traffic but fan always kept it below 110.

fords... *sigh*

Reply to
Mark Craft

'That'll be because they fitted shit security'

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Had an RS Trubot turn up at some of our cruise events. one busy week, there is traffic crawling into the car park. And this white turbot is crawling along, with water pissing out of the expansion tank (either the cap, or the pressure bleed off). He said it was OK, always did that when hot and crawling.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

or came in at 7am and when they went out again sailed past all the traffic,cut in at the last moment, cut everyone up at the roundabout, and went sailing over the bridge to park up :) time from tinglebury place where the cash machine was into the stand?

10 minutes :)

Reply to
dojj

Silverstone much better getting in that last year

Reply to
dojj

Heh!

Reply to
DervMan

Ditto for my Mondeo, Festers, and the Ka. It's either the Cosworth bit of the Ford, or (more likely) the owners.

Reply to
DervMan

No, it's more than likely the owners.

Do you recall the one I almost bought - it boiled over in York's traffic . . . :(

Reply to
DervMan

hehe wait till they find out they've nicked 6 shit over heating fords, that'll get em :-D

my old girl has been good in the heat so far, came back down the A12 and the temp gauge never went past halfway unless the temp gauge is broke LOL

Reply to
Vamp

in the services overnight ran out of tickets so didn't have to pay either :) then 6 am straight run into the car parl and then out to the stand i was very dissapointed that, even though i came in twice, the bod taking the photo's didn't have one of me the car behind me was there, teh car in front of me was there, everyone else on teh stand was there, but not me i made a bit of a hoo-haa about it and then stormed off saying they were too expensive anyway :)

Reply to
dojj

the cars are worth loads in spare parts your looking at the thick end of about $40k worth of bits there a nice earner for anyone for a days work even if it cost them a few hundred quid in backhanders and tow truck stuff they're still sitting on a pretty packet there have been murmurs about who was behind it, but i'm not saying anything because i don't even have an onioni

Reply to
dojj

405 sits around 90, either on or just below, never seen it get to 100, even in full on traffic, the fan seems to be enough to keep it down :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

DervMan waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

I had a 500+ BHP Sapphire Cossie and it never overheated in the least, never even got particularly warm to be honest, although you did used to get a lot of steam off the bonnet in the rain, and a lot of heat haze in the summer.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

Guy sold it to some unsuspecting sap the next Thursday, who came back to the office on the following Monday, not entirely happy! :)

Reply to
DervMan

i thought it was 47.7 centigrade :)

Reply to