Paging jackhackettuk

That mate of yours with the 200SX with a Skyline engine in it - that car isn't by any chance black/dark grey with a white front end and a white rear bumper, is it?

Just wondering because one of the drift cars running at the track day at Lydden Hill today answered to that description.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

There are now two - one with an RB26 and another with an RB25.

No, they're both black.

However, I've seen the one you're on about around here.

Any good?

I've been offered a G plate phase two CRX 1.6 (D16) which I was thinking of getting for just that kind of thing - recently rebuilt engine, stripped out, bucket seats / harnesses, decent intake and exhaust modifications etc, and road legal.

=A3800 they've asked.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It looked local, for some reason.

Oh yes. Second time I went there and it's not going to be the last time. Which reminds me, I need to book the on in October.

They're pretty cheap and pretty relaxed, but they will pull you off the track if you're doing stupid stuff (like the bloke in a Radical who suddenly turned up in the 'Novice' session after spending the rest of the day in the 'Experienced' session which is little more than a test day for racers.

You like FWD cars, don't you? Get it. CRX MkIIs are amongst the best cheap trackday sheds you can get, and if you've got the trackday mods already it'll save you a lot of dosh. Mind you, I'd invest in a cage. Actually I've just bought a rollbar for the MX5.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Sheep in the back?

Radical... the driver didn't have a bald head by chance, did he?

Aye.

It's shod with recent Yokos... and I believe he was going to throw in the rims shod with slicks too, as part of the deal.

Although not sure if they're a good idea - it has a tendency to do the bottom end when run on those (hence why it's been rebuilt again recently), but up until it does that, it's proved to be *very* quick round Lydden, by all accounts.

Loads of other mods too - it's been the mechanic I uses obsession for the last two or three years.

I believe he's spent a shedload on the brakes etc as well.

It's got bracing, front and back... no cage though.

You mean you didn't take the Evo this time?

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Baaaaah.

Didn't see him with his helmet off. White Radical (I think). Guy looked like he new what I was doing, though.

I remember a few stripped out ones on my first outing there in March and at least one of them was pretty quick.

Good.

Get it. For that sort of money it's a no-brainer.

IMHO they do make sense if you spend a lot of time on the track. Small trackday cars like MX5s and CRXs are rather flimsy.

Not before the guys at Trac-Art here in Ashford had had a go at it. I'd want a full assessment of what I got here and a service (rear brakes are almost down metal-to-metal) before I take this thing any further than up the road.

Depending on what they come back with it's also "keep or ebay" time.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

It's shod with recent Yokos... and I believe he was going to throw in the rims shod with slicks too, as part of the deal.

Although not sure if they're a good idea - it has a tendency to do the bottom end when run on those (hence why it's been rebuilt again recently), but up until it does that, it's proved to be *very* quick round Lydden, by all accounts.

When you say bottom end - doesn't that mean the engine? How do the tyres knacker the end? Too much cornering G taking all the oil away or something...?

Reply to
DanB

Ok... not who I'm think of, then - their one is black, but as proved at the BHP Performance Show when they lapped everyone several times, they too know what they're doing. ;-)

If one of them was yellow with a black bonnet and sign written, then it was this one.

Yes... to someone who seems to collect vehicles. :-P

I'm more keen on 106 GTis, tbh.

I trust Sir hasn't sunken too much wonga into it?

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Yes.

You need to baffle the sump on most road cars if you stick slicks on them.

Reply to
SteveH

Aye

But these have a baffled sump - he showed me one when I was looking over the CRX on Friday when he fitted the shiny new Green Stuff pads to the Passat. :-)

I looked at it, and it looks to me like the baffle is too restrictive if anything.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

There are always a couple of Radicals and similar cars at trackdays out there.

Can't remember that one.

Fair enough. It's just that if you want something for the track, buy a car that's already prepared - much cheaper in the long run.

Well unfortunately it is a substantial part of what I got for the RX7, which says more about the depressed and depressing values of twin-turbo RX7s than the value of Evos.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Aye, but then I'm more of the 'run it in relatively standard road trim' brigade... at the mo, anyway.

Well, bar engine mods. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Well, the MX5 is also still in road trim (mostly) but little mods like a bucket seat and better wheels/tyres made a huge difference.

Never a bad plan :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Aye, well I'm up for stuff like that... just not so keen on complete strip outs etc, as I like to use whatever away from the track as well as on it.

I *really* regret never getting that 106 Rallye I had with the tuned VTS lump out on a track day.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk