Paging those what know about TÜV tests. T imo?

My Mk2 Escort needs an exhaust back box. I don't appear to be able to find a proper standard 'Sport' spec one anywhere. As the car will have to pass a German MOT before I can get export plates on it to drive it home I'm in a little bit of a pickle.

I can get a full aftermarket system, no problem, but I want to try and keep the car as original as possible. Neither Timax or Bosal have a 1300 Sport back box available at the moment (and are unlikely to have one in the next 4-6 weeks) so it's looking like it'll have to be something like a twin box 'sport' system instead just to get the car fully useable.

Now, here's the problem. Are the TÜV testers likely to kick off about a UK spec aftermarket exhaust on a car that'll be out of the country within a week of passing the test? It's highly unlikely to be TÜV approved, but how strict are they on exhausts on 30 year old cars?

It's the only part I need, so I don't mind throwing a sensible amount of money at a system provided Manfred the MOT man isn't going to throw a thrombie when the car arrives for the test.

Every other part I've got is TÜV approved, but I cannot find the bloody back box for love nor money.

(Sorry for an on-topic post, folks)

Reply to
Pete M

They might well. It'll have to either have an ABE (which is a bit of paper that confirms that the exhaust has been tested to the appropriate standard re noise etc and that you can just stick it on the car), has to be OEM spec (which implies an ABE) or you'll have to get the thing tested with whatever backbox you can find that fit. If the latter is OK but you don't have the paperwork, you can get the car's paperwork amended but that'll cost you another fee.

Has the original backbox gone or is it repairable? If it's the latter I'd get the original repaired.

We don't really condone this sort of behaviour around, dontchaknow?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Judging by the amount of Germans hooning around in 500BHP MK2 Escorts, I don't think it's going to be the headache you're imagining.

Reply to
Conor

I'm trying to keep the car original, as the good folks at Ford designed it to be. It's a long time since I saw one like it, and it's got all the right bits. Problem is, there aren't many 1300 Sports left, and the 1300 Sport has an unusual system as standard.

Standard Mk2 1300 has a cast manifold with a smallish bore system. Ghia / Sport has tubular manifold with slightly larger system.

1600 has the same back box but a different middle box.

Mine has the original tubular manifold and middle box, but the back box is missing - presumed stolen or sold. I'm trying not to just put an aftermarket back box on and see if it'll creep through the TÜV, but I don't see an option at the moment.

Reply to
Pete M

You'd think it was easy, but building and registering something like that involves getting a TÜV engineer on board before you even start building the thing, running your plans by them to see if they're acceptable, then at the end of the build they'll do an in-depth inspection - any welding work at this stage has to be unpainted so they can assess the actual workmanship (none of that "slap some underseal on" type MOT work). Depending on the extent of the changes this can involve emissions and noise testing and all sorts of fun stuff.

Yes, it can be done. But it involves the sort of bureaucracy that gives a NuLab politico multiple orgasms.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I've had another look around and while I can find a couple of websites for classic Ford parts in Germany, not many of them seem to be listing useful stuff for Mk2 Escorts.

That said, a bit of poking around produced this link:

which happens to be listed in their pdf parts list as the correct can for a 1300 Sport & 1.6l. Their English home page can be found at:

I knew these German classic car mags would occasionally come in handy :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo, yer a feckin' superstar lad.

Reply to