Paging Vamp and Carl

This should interest you.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Check out the mileages !

Most are around 100k, some are *way* higher.

I think it's pretty obvious that significantly ramping up the power, on an engine that's been to the moon and back, is gonna result in badness.

Wayne Gregory, UK - I say you were doing well to *reach* 160,000 miles from your highly-stressed 80's tech Turbo Engine !

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, seen that, some interesting stories.

Unless/until I go with an emanage/Apexi PFC, I'm going to stick to 10-11 PSI and a 2.5" exhaust system. The stock ST185 ECU has fuel maps upto

12-14PSI, and the Carlos Sainz upto 17PSI, so if I leave a couple of PSI leaway for boost spikes, I should be safe, and quite a bit better than the standard 7-8PSI max boost that they make from the factory, especially when the CAT is pulled.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

He doesn't seem to know much. He has no need for an FCD if it is running=20

6PSI (should be running 8psi in 3 and above anyway, and won't fuelcut=20 until over 12-14PSI) , mines running at 140k miles currently, and "I had=20 only owned the car for apx 6 months, and had no trouble with it, was=20 pulling hard, accelerating and I had never noticed any smoke from the=20 back," to quote a little of the Mr Gregory stuff.

If it popped at 6PSI, it would have been a real arse of an engine. more=20 like the boost was wound up with an MBC and no proper boost gauge and=20 probably making 16PSI which is almost garaunteed engine death without a=20 thicker stronger headgasket. I notice he lists an induction kit, FCD and=20 boost controller, but no boost gauge, silly person. Surprised his HG=20 didn't go, but blown rings on 2 and 3 are common, because those two=20 cylinders run the hottest. Bet he was running chip fat oil because it=20 used a load too. Mine breathes a little through dump valve, but mainly=20 because the PCV is routed into the intake between the DV and the AFM.

they do breathe a fair bit if the engine is ragged, the ST205 had a crap=20 but functional catch can that drained back to the sump, and a dump=20 valve, they learnt from their mistake on the ST185 about compressor=20 stall and PCV breathing. I'm going to be adding a catch can to mine=20 soon, as it does weap a little from the DV, but more importanly, can see=20 it in the AFM and arround the turbo inlet hose.

I suppose his dyno results with half an engine was reasonable. But if=20 mine popped, I would get a recent import low miler from Fennies, they do=20 them complete with turbo and intake manifold for about =A3900+VAT.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

interesting site, will read it when i can feel bothered :)

i'm considering taking mine up to 14-15psi, rev2 MR2's ECU can handle 16psi max but as carl has said i'd rather take it a bit under! still goof for

250bhp that though :) i know MR2's that have upped the boost to 15psi and gone way past 100k miles with no probs.

what you gonna use for boost control carl? i'm looking at an apexi AVCR next year :)

Reply to
Vamp

Save your money and get an all in one management system like a motec, haltech or autronic. In the long run it will save you money and if you get a harness adaptor made up you can just unclip it and take it to your next car when it's time to sell.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Initially, a couple of quid on a cheap manual boost controller/dawes device/grainger device, I'll think about electronics later.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

surely though an AVCR would still be needed if it was chipped? as i don't thing the aftermarket ECU can control boost can they?

Reply to
Vamp

ah i get it, up the boost, dash bling later sorted ;)

Reply to
Vamp

Yep, drive, adjust, check on the gauge. Sorted for now.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The better aftermarket ECUS can indeed control a boost controller solenoid.

Even the Dastek Unichip has a addon boost controller that can be fitted inside the case controlled via the mapping.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

or you could have a mate lying on the engine to adjust it on the go? :)

Reply to
Vamp

Can you imagine how much drag that would produce, especially with the second mate on the front shouting directions through the sunroof.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Sure they can. My unichip does. So does my mates Motec. They just tap into the factory boost controller.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I wouldn't touch the boost without some sort of reliable boost gauge. I would also go some sort of air/fuel meter as well to make sure I am not leaning out and destroying my motor.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Thats why I'm getting my gauges in first, but I reckon I might have to abandon the 3 gauge pillar pod, started with the trimming, but it looks like I might trim so much away that it will start to cut into the shaped areas for the gauges. Might end up getting three gauge pods and sticking/screwing them directly to the pillar.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

sweet :)

how do you rate unitchip? there's a place near me that does unichip quite cheap and the guy is pretty experienced but mainly on cossies. can chip and set it up for £500-600

Reply to
Vamp

well that too! wouldn't up the boost without a gauge that's proper stupid! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Some people in the GT4OC have had problems with Unichips if they have been running lots of boost, bigger turbos, or bigger injectors (outside the normal MR2/GT4/Supra range). Doesn't seem to like them at all.

But other than that, arround £600 for the kit with the mapping is about right.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar