Pick me a car

Budget : 4 grand. Annual mileage : 20 - 25,000 Use : Commuting, daily business use, holidays, towing car trailer, long walks along the beach, GSOH etc... Wants : Comfort, torque, supple chassis, rugged and dependable. Don't want : sports suspension - a misnomer if ever there was one. I have another car for power oversteer (if it ever gets finished) thank you. Fuel : Diesel doing 50+ mpg or LPG doing 30mpg at least. Car age : 5 years old maximum. Driver profile : tights as a camel's arse in a sandstorm, recovering fat bloke.

Other than that, I'm wide open, so to speak.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Micra

Reply to
Vamp

Mondeo TDCi. Comfortable, handle and ride well IME. Quick enough to make good progress if you want to and Conor gets good economy from his and I get the impression he doesn't hang around.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Oh don't ask me, I can pick every bd car on the planet.

Reply to
Elder

I'd pay good money to see one of those tow a loaded car trailer.

Having said that, I did exactly that with =A350s worth of Peugeot 309

1.3 when I collected the 106 Rallye from oop north a couple of years ago.

The rear suspension told another story, mind. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I'd go with this.

Or, and here's a left field one and I'm not sure about the towing thing, but Mk4 (previous shape) Astra? They're available with the very good 2.0 diesel on the later ones, and that remaps well if that's you're thing as well. The handling is better than most people would admit, loads of grip. Available from pov spec to high spec. Then of course, its bigger brother, the Vectra is an option that again, is much better than most people would admit.

Is the budget is possibly a little optomistic...? Is there any wiggle room?

Reply to
DanB

This one looked the best to me - although you'd have to be ok with a private seller, and it isn't the more desirable 130bhp spec, with the 6 speed box etc.

2004 FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi 115 LX 5dr Diesel Hatchback

41,000 miles, Turbo Diesel, TD, Met Silver, Face Lift Model, Full MOT, Service History, 41,000 miles. Remote Central Locking, Onboard Computer, ABS, Cruse Control, Air Conditioning, Alarm, CD Player, Electric Door Mirrors, Heated Front & Rear Screen, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Rear Boot Spoiler, One Owner, Hpi Clear. Great All Round Condition, £3995 ono. £3,995 ono.

Private Seller: Contact number: 07500 195552 or 01235 767853

DanB

2L Mondeo TDCi 130.
Reply to
Conor

Fkin ell, apart from a bit of chrome trim and the front fog lamps, its=20 the same spec as my Ghia.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Audi 80 TDI, shirley? Apart from the 5 years old bit. (c;

What about a nice A4 or A6 Avant TDI, they must be getting cheap by now.

Reply to
Douglas Payne