Ping: SteveH

Hello my southern friend,

just wanted to ask you about your lovely fiat beasty,

whats the 20v like on a day to day basis? been offered one cheap cheap and wouldnt mind some pointers before i do something stupid.

Reply to
Rob

Cheers Steve,

Given me some food for thought, The one i've been offered is on 75k a bit tatty and no cambelt change in the history :) plus side is its cheap, Really cheap (300 quid)

although that said i'm still waiting on pics of a certain VTEC 216 gti hint hint :)

Reply to
Rob

i know i know but its mitigating circumstances,

full stainless exhaust a few tweaks and i'd be doing the belt meself :)

cant be that bad really after doing a 2l 16v nova timing belt insitu

Reply to
Rob

Hmmmm.

Needs a cambelt change ASAP, then. So not cheap enough.

Mine is almost perfect, bar a small crack in the rear bumper, cost me

800 quid, isn't due a belt for 40k miles and has done only 68k miles.....

Seriously, *don't* buy a really cheap one, look for one that's around

600-800 quid and has had a belt change.
Reply to
SteveH

i accept your challenge young sir :)

the rumour mill says it can be done in car i presume(wrongly no doubt) its easier just to drop it off the mount and take that approach

pfft cant be that bad, you ever worked on a Renault Scenic?

Reply to
Rob

*snort*

No, really, you don't have the first clue about how much of a bastard job this is.

It's definitely one best left to the pros.

Reply to
SteveH

So like a vauxhall V6 spark plug change then lol

Reply to
Rob

You have no idea how difficult to work on these engines are. There is no space at all. When I had mine, the top hose split and that was an engine off the mounts job and remove most of the induction system to get to the bugger. Really - seriously, it's a nightmare of an engine to work on.

There is an upside though. You'll never lose a spanner under the bonnet - they just bounce back out, because there's nowhere else for them to go.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

c/w

And that's a car that's still not really wide enough for a 5.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Is the cambelt under that rounded cover at the top O/S of the engine slightly tilted back?

What's the box with the yellow label?

Is the big black pipe in the middle from the turbo to the intercooler?

And what's the big box behind the air filter? Electrical gubbins? (battery?)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yes

ECU

I believe so

Battery is in boot - in that box is the jump start positive and the big main fuses.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

SteveH wrote

I disagree, knowing Rob's penchant for engine swaps, bin the engine and whack in a 20vT (doing the cambelt on the 20vT before it goes in!) from a stuffed Coupe

Reply to
fishman

never ever ever ever again,

evil bastard of a job, even with the purchase of the proper sealey locking tool it was still a nightmare,i actually fancied a coupe 20v turbo come the summer when i hit 25 but not if this is any indication,

that said tis done, although i noticed it is needing a couple of brake pipes which should be fun :)

Reply to
Rob

I assume you changed the tensioner which normally fails before the belt?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

course :)

i know all about the reliability of fiat tensioners :) :) just ask our punto

Reply to
Rob