Planned mods...

Especially given that it's one of the very few very original UK-spec convertibles left.

Cheaper than sticking an RX-7 into the kitty litter, but then again I don't really need three cars, either.

Thanks for getting backto me on that. I think the RX-7 deserves a bit more than that, though.

There is no such thing as earning too much money when it comes to owning an RX-7.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hahahahahahahaha!

That's funny.

Seriously, did you work in Iraq during 2003?

Reply to
DervMan

So you continue to say, I'm wondering how many Mercedes and BMWs are flogged?

As I've written before, VW badged stuff occupies a unique niche these days. VW have had to price down their products for the retail market (mostly because their stuff doesn't excel at anything these days, Fords are more reliable, Renaults have a better ride, Ford and Vauxhall handle better, so on and so forth), which has had a knock on effect on residual values, thus leasing costs have remained slightly high. Too high for what you get, basically.

When I looked at the previous shape Passat the only reason I could genuinely want this model is access to TDI technology, which I can have elsewhere. Ultimately I did go elsewhere 'cos TDI isn't class leading like it was ten years ago. The game has moved on.

Reply to
DervMan

You say Ford is more reliable, yet I know of no-one who's had a breakdown in a modern VW. And though renaults have a better ride they could never be seen as a quality alternative to the VW.

VW's main competitors for the Golf / Passat are the Focus / Modeo / Vectra. I still don't think the astra feels anywhere near as good though it seems well built just not nice to drive.

VW could have trouble though - Audi will lose A4 sales to the S40, 159 and Saab 93, all of which are better to drive and probably just as well built. Skoda are the only part of the group without peers really.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If you can manage it, go borrow a Golf, preferably one that's still inside the first ten thousand miles. Then borrow the equivalent Renault. Renault have come on in leaps and bounds...

...oh and watch the drive shafts. :)

Come to think of it I only know of people who've had a breakdown* within the first two years of new car ownership in a VW, BMW and Citroen.

Now a VAG fan may say that a brake light switch isn't really a breakdown and it's only a cheap component anyway. They may also say that a coil pack is a known issue with thousands of models. I'd say, "yaaaa" and mimic Charlie's accent with these statements. Dad's Passat has also had transmission issues, a clunking from the back and has been through two brake light switches.

*This includes the Citroen-owning Moppet leaving the lights on overnight. :)

And to a degree the C4, 307, 1-Series for the smaller 'uns. And the Renault too.

In my opinion the old shape Astra was beaten on the drive compared to the Focus by points alone, rather than a knock out. For the majority of people its slightly quieter interior was a plus point. I looked at a bunch. Sure, the interior is as boring as boring gets but there isn't really a duff petrol engine in the line up (caveat: they all have the same mechanical weakness), the 1.7 CDTi diesel is for tight people, the 2.0 diesels are better, the 1.7 Isuzu indirect injection turbodiesel is hard to find these days too. Vauxhall surprised me with the last Astra because the previous models were utter drivel to drive. The new (current generation) Astra, I've only driven one and it felt, hmm, different. Unfortunately I drove the 150 bhp 1.9 CDTi so wasn't especially interested in the handling. :)

Or as close therein. Audi *have* to make their cars well built because the harsh ride would otherwise disintegrate the interior.

Yes. It's an odd positioning that Skoda enjoys. Some people still won't consider one, ever, never, yet happily buy a Seat. Seat at one time had an awful image...

Reply to
DervMan

No they havent, they still suffer lots of roll and understeer, apart from the sporty ones which try to kill you with oversteer. And they're getting heavier. And the trim fit and finish is not even close to the Golf. And shall I say "dci engine pumps" or not?

Dad's passat is an old one isn't it? And VAG have never been known for their diesel autos. Brake lamp switches are an odd one - seems to be a supplier issue as I know plenty of A class owners who've had to replace them, £7 part...

Citroens? Don't make me laugh. Shall I mention Hdi pumps, crappy trim and electrics, quirky suspension...

C4. Friend has a C4. Spent most of the year off the road with endless breakdowns and recalls.

true

Skoda are heading the same way - cheap VWs.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The difference these days is that the electronics aim to keep you in the right direction...

But as far as quality goes, they're much better. Shoot even the original 19 felt a solidly built thing.

Try a new one. Really.

:) Every donk has its weakness.

Yes. Oh absolutely yes. On the one hand the new one is better, on the other, he bought his as a run out model and you'd think that VAG would have sorted out all or any little niggles.

Yes. And with good reason of course...

It's hugely disappointing.

Yes. The C5 owning chap only had a faulty battery in two years. From new his was okay. Naturally enough I shied away from the Xantia because of suspension concerns and I needed the VSX for the seats.

That's one difference between perception of owners. An interior switch falling off would mortify me and shoot I've run Fiats and Fords for n years.

Wretched things. Horrid. Annoying advert too.

Reply to
DervMan

Finish painting the bastard Golf. Hopefully in time to win my bet and get the beer.

Fit 16V suspension to the Golf and BBS alloys. And fit an alarm. No engine mods as the economy / go balance suits at the moment, but I might go for 9A or ABF power in the future. 1.8T if I'm working...

Reply to
Doki

We're talking high pressue commonrail fuel pumps here, right? Thing is, something as stupidly expensive as that is bound to put people off, 'cos even if it's covered if it goes within warranty, it's going to have a big impact on resale value, putting people off them to start with (i.e. they'll be worth f*ck all come trade-in time), and making lease costs high as well.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup right here :-) I did want one, as I discussed with you, then I drove a Fabia vRS, it was one with one of them Revo switchable tuning boxes. In 'factory' tune or 'sport' tune, it was still horrible to drive, and the interior was really like, minging and grey. I know we mock SteveH for his love of STD's but I would agree I have to be able to look at the interior and not go 'Ewww....'.

Reply to
Iridium

I bet that came as a surprise....

Reply to
Iridium

Well, I'd say a Honda was still a Jap car even though it was made in the UK. Although I'd much rather have one made in Japan...

Reply to
Iridium

That guy was such a legend :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I tend to see more "prestige" marques at the side of the road. BMW seems to be particularly prevalent this year. Maybe it's because the 3 series outsold the Mondeol, I don't know.

Reply to
Conor

Great: one speedbump and it's back to the exhaust fitter because the lowest point under the 75 TS are the twin exhaust pipes under the engine. They are easily smashed allready with the normal riding height. With a 2 inch drop the oil pan will also become very vulnerable.

All your mods: very superficial, most likely to make thing worse instead of better.

Get the flywheel off the engine, put it in a lathe and chop 3 kg rotating mass away as far for center as possible. But yeah: one doesn't see that but the differance in accelleration up till third gear is quite noticeable.

It's the only mod to my time warp 75 (now 6500 km for a 1991 model). When I have the ambition I might give the gearbox some attention: clutch and gears also have big potential for lightening.

My 75 is virtually new, so I stick with the standard rims. Better were going 1 inch bigger and fitting some bigger brakes in: they are needed if the "small mods" descrived below are done. In order to get the same ride heigght AND far better cornering tires with lower profile are avaiblabe for silly money because every car seems nowerdays to rid on

16''. Another interesting mod is placing the rear brakes in the rims: it saves quite some heat going into the gearbox.

There are superchips who raise the rev-limiter to 7200 RMP but it needs a modified inlet, the supersprint exhaust (cheap as chips if you can find it) and a ported head to take advantage of the chip. When the head comes back ported, let a workshop shave some 0.5 mm off, the extra compression will release around 5 to 10 HP and help fuel efficiency.

Again : all quite low-profile, costing little but ellbowgrease but by then the AR 75 has around 180 HP (up from 130 HP stock) at the wheels which helps things quite nicely because the 75 is compared to modern cars quite light.

Strangely enough my former 210 HP AR 75 was less thristy that the stock one I have now. I don't drive it often though but still like it. The donut thingy goes as it ever did.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I haven't dropped the front.

Apart from lowering the rear whilst leaving the front the same is pretty much what the racers do. (Although they drop both ends, but drop the rear lower than the front).

Not worth doing unless doing other stuff at the same time, IMHO.

Not sure about that - the TSpark clutch is significantly lighter than the 3lt item and the boxes are fragile at the best of times.

Mine's staying on it's original 14" Speedlines.

Cost vs. gain means that's not worth doing.

Easiest way to get 180bhp from a 75 is to grab some bits from a scrapped Turbo America.

Or fit a V6.

Reply to
SteveH

The X-Trail is going to receive a nice shiney pimpy chromey A-Bar, possibly with some spots betwixt it, and more than likely a custom stainless twin exit cat-back exhaust, as I notice the factory back box has more flakes that Cadburys (rust that is)

Have some Polk 6inch components and Punch Amp to spice up the Hi-Fi, once some MDF adpapters have been fashioned

And if the pig bank hasnt imploded, some running bars.

Hardly 'modding' though..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

You appear to be talking sense, and we cannot allow that to continue here.

Abuse report sent.

Reply to
Elder

The Fabia's interior is a real shame, especially the vRS.

Reply to
DervMan

Yup, big smash on the M5. He ran into the Armco and spun several times before coming to a stop. Oddly enough the car wasn't totalled, he managed to do that later on in another accident. I don't know if VW admitted responsibility he told me, after buying an Astra, that VW blamed the dealer, dealer blamed VW.

I don't think they knew who they had taken on though, he's a professional complainer. He once got the CEO of a computer company to visit his home on a Saturday to see the fault that the CEO insisted was not there. Then he got his money back on the spot.

Reply to
Steve Firth