Porting/polishing

Is this worth doing? What the likely cost to do a 4 cylinder head?

Thinking about trying to give the Volvo a bit more get up and go (its pretty bloody slow!). I'm tempted by an upgrade to a 2.3 but the insurance company dont like engine changes, so I'm planning to do some work on the current

2.0. Just a few tweaks - maybe a new cam, posting/polishing if its worth it and some exhuast mods to help it breath a bit better.
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Firstly the exhaust isnt bad. Leave alone until you've done elsewhere.

Slot in a Vx cam straight away.

Inlet manifold isnt the best- get the throttle body bored out and have the manifold ported and the head / manifold ports matched and opened upto the gasket line.

Use a cone filter with good cold air pick up on the MAF instead of the cross-car ducting over the top of the radiator.

You may have to have the fuel pressure tweaked or the MAF vane clock spring altered to ensure it doesnt lean out excessively at the top end with the Vx cam, so a session on the rollers is essential.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dnfgqo$6rs$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I really dont like the design of the back box. It will be going in the new year, its all planned :)

That's what I was thinking, but am having trouble finding out what cars they were fitted to. Some 940s have been suggested, but any input would be appreciated!

That sounds like what I'm after. Will have to try and find somewhere round here that will do it.

I know its a bad setup, but the thing I like about it is that it should be useful to stopping water getting through to the engine. My plan was to see if I could just get a K&N (or similar) replacement filter to make the flow a bit better and maybe put some heat sheliding around the ducting.

Sounds expensive, but its the sort of thing I would like to do!

Thanks for the reply, very useful indeed!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Depends on how much BHP you're hoping to achieve. Eventually the airflow through the ports becomes a restricting factor.

Quite a few hundred quid for a proper job. Polishing you can do yourself if you're not bothered about porting.

Get a 2.3. It'll end up being cheaper to pay the insurance.

Reply to
Conor

Not really worth it for the gains you get. I'd be looking at exhaust/cams first on a NA motor.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Dunno, I had a head done by Bill Blydenstein a few years ago and it made quite a difference. Not a huge amount of extra power, but it was a lot more responsive and quite a bit more torquey.

Only cost around £150 as well.

Reply to
Pete M

Had you done other stuff first?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It had a better exhaust manifold (4 branch instead of cast job) but that was it. Admittedly Bill B was pretty bloody legendary at getting more poke out of standard heads. Used to snarl at you if you even considered big valves or high lift cams.

Reply to
Pete M

Unfortunately I'm stuck with a NA as I want to use it on road rallies. If I was just building a fun car the 2.3T would be slotted in!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The thing is, the 2.3 isnt that much more powerful - I'd still end up wanting to do the same work on it. Obviously the end result would be better due the increased capacity but the overall cost would probably be the same.

Maybe I'll just do the 2.0 on the cheap for now - a V cam if I can find one, a bit of polishing and some exhuasts mods, then worry about the 2.3 later on and do that properly. In the summer my policy will have finished and I'll have 3 yrs NCB on it, so might try changing over to Adrian Flux or CCI as they wont care what I do to the car!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Have you looked at the TurboBricks site?

andthe forums:
They've done a lot with engine mods and despite the name, it isn't all forced induction stuff.

BTW where/with which club do you road rally?

Reply to
anon

Yeah I've checked it out a few time. Some interesting stuff on there!

Wessex, all the way down south. Technically I could probably put a turbo lump in as most events down here are navigational permits, but I'd like to have the option to do proper road rally permit events.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

how sick is this

Theo

Can you bore out or stroke the 2.0 to make a 2.3? That's a ~15% increase in cubes right there.

Reply to
adder1969