Possible modification shocker!

I be very much thinking about making one of my Sierras into a track day car...

I'll thinking use the 2.9 as the basis, strip the trim out virtually completely, fit a cage, pair of cheap Corbeau or similar seats, extinguisher, cut out switch and all the usual suspects.. It's already got a silly exhaust system and a pair of K&Ns. Engine needs the bottom end doing anyway, so I may as well balance and lighten it while it's out..

This way I get to put all the good road bits off it onto the 2.8, which should be the ideal tow car as well as my daily runabout.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use 2.0 4x4 CWPs with a 2.9 4x4???

Anyone know if it's possible to get trackday insurance that covers the car for there and back as well? Just so I can keep it legal if I have an unforseen moment.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:ojuSc.680$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Crown Wheel and Pinion.. the bits in the differential that determine gearing.

Reply to
Pete M

[snip Sierra stuff]

I can't help you with the stuff I've snipped, but DOJJ will be along shortly, or drop on by at the Ford Sierra Owners Club, they're full of useful information.

Our ordinary road going policy with HIC covers non competitive track days, but it's third party only - if that makes any difference?

Reply to
DervMan

Not me. I don't even know what CWPs are. You're asking the wrong person :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

a good idea, but 24V granada swap might be cheaper in the long run

mark 1 2.8? they might not fit what bits were you thinking baout?

just swap the diffs over it's fairly common to use the 3.92:1 diffs from the twinky in the 2.9, and if you have stacks of power you can even try to master the second gear launch :)

i have dedicated track insurance (well, i did have) on the TT sierra it was about £500 a year though and you have to get seperate raod insurance for the car as well plus there was a £1k excess on it but it did cover upto £5mill worth of claims can't remember where i got it but if you get something like CCC or whatever it is now they should do them in there somewhere i also had to do a limited mileage on it as well, but as it was 2,000 miles it was hardly going to be passed was it :)

Reply to
dojj

In news:cfducu$r57$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Aye, it's damn tempting as well. The 2.9 is a bit vague, but even in it's present (bottom ends rattling if under more than light load) state, it's a fair bit torquier than the 2.8. Could be because revving the 2.8 is pointless due to me still not having fixed the viscous fan.... I'm seriously considering 24v'ing the pair of them.

Mk2 2.8. I'm thinking of just swapping the springs and shocks for now. The

2.9 has full Koni susp on it, and the 15" alloys. Most of the trim bits I'm after (rear lecky windows, interior spotlights, headlining, a few switches and stuff) should go straight on. I'd love to put the door open / lights out computer in, but I suspect that would be a major loom operation, and I can't be arsed. Lucky for me the 2.9 is an early G, so it's still got the early interior door handles etc

Yay :-D. I love the 2.8 because of it's long gearing, but it's hardly ideal for trackdays. The 2.9 is just going to be a plaything.

All worth thinking about, I'm toying with getting another traders policy for road use anyway. I drive too many bloody cars to be on the "driving other cars" extension of a normal road policy. Cheers Dojjbloke.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete let me know about the traders policy thing as I wanna drive lots of cars...

Reply to
fishman

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

And me!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Right, my experience of traders policies is as follows.

  1. Either need premises or have to trade from home.
  2. Need company name, preferable to use mates valeting (or similar) company name. If possible, use his vat number too!
  3. If slightly scamming it, need to pay up in full
  4. Never claim for anything if you can avoid it, even if you total your car, it's not worth claiming if you're planning on ever getting another traders policy
  5. If you hit someone, fix their car, don't go through the insurance if avoidable. Keep a special "oops" fund just in case.
  6. Get 2 or three trusted mates on it, get them to pay for their share. If they bump, make sure they don't claim.
  7. Forget about your no claims bonus, you don't get one. If you bump, you're in shit for your next policy.
  8. Sometimes you have to name a car for each driver as a "regular use" vehicle. Don't name anything exotic.
  9. Don't tax mates cars for them, it only leads to tons of paperwork when they get nicked parking / speeding / going through red lights, cars sold without tax etc.

I'll be looking into the latest "amendments" in the next few weeks, I'll keep you all posted.

Reply to
Pete M

with

if the fan is stuck on you are losing almost 10 brake and considering that the 2.8 made 135 on a good day and the 2.9 makes 155 on a bad day, you can see why one is lots more pokey then the other :)

the doors open.lights working stuff is a nightmare, got wires for everything and then you have to figure out how to wire them up not worth it but the rest is a direct fit, leccy rears just plug into the normal loom (when i say plug, i really mean splice in, but you know what i mean :) )

it's the gearbox better ratio's and you can hit 60 in 2nd rather than the need to pop up to

3rd in the 2.9
Reply to
dojj

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nice one mate. Always wondered how they "Worked".

Any recommendations on companies to go for, and to avoid.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Sounds like a good idea. As for the insurance, try Competition Car Insurance. I know a few people who use them and they can cover road use to and from events based on a limited mileage of a few thousand.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs