Power & Torque Plots

Went to a rolling road on Saturday - thanks Dojj for organising it.

Claimed output is 72 bhp and 101 lbsft. Standard is more like 58 PS and 77 lbsft.

Claimed output seems somewhat inflated to me! Good for upsetting other Ka peeps ("look, we're producing 72 PS, heh") except... well I'm pretty sure it's not right.

Now the power and torque match at the requisite 5,250 rpm... guess I need to contact the rolling road for the power at the wheel figures...

Reply to
DervMan

Thats not bad at all really, 14bhp over standard, thats like, 23% or summet? Assuming you actually are making 72bhp :)

Reply to
DanTXD

He won't be, though! From some funky calculation website based on the quarter mile times, maximum power is more like 65 bhp.

The maximum torque is, I believe, laughable. Even Superchips reckon they put torque from 77 lbsft to 81 lbsft. The power and torque curves are spot on. At least 90% of maximum torque from 1,500 rpm to just over 4,000 rpm. Power is 90% of maximum from 4,000 rpm to the limiter at 6,000 rpm. Maximum power 5,500 rpm.

Guys were busy laughing at the maximum power output figure until they saw the torque curve. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I'd still be laughing TBH :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Heh! Guess it depends on your perspective, of course.

Reply to
DervMan

It was Power Engineering wasn't it?

Not 100% convinced about their results sometimes, too many 1.6 focuses running 20bhp over standard for my liking. Saying that, my Ka could run a

1/4 mile in 17.2s according to my g-tech, and that felt about right, but mine was an OHC model and was DLISI from new. I'd suggest your 1/4 mile calculated figure of 65bhp was a lot nearer the mark.
Reply to
Andrew Jewitt

Yes, odd that 20% has featured in my torque calculations, heh!

Kermit's SQM was originally 20.4 seconds, now it's down to 19.2 seconds...

Reply to
DervMan

Claimed engine power depends a lot on dyno calibration and what fudge factor they use for transmission loss. Transmission loss depends on what gear it's in, what speed/rpm it's doing, what oil is in the box and how much, how many gear meshes or hypoid bevels the power is put though and for indirect FWD boxes how many gears on the output shaft run proportional to engine speed and how many to output speed. 4wd is even more complex. Dyno techs don't have clue, they just pull a figure out the air and use it. All a wheel roller dyno can be used for with any hope of accuracy is wheel power.

Runing lower power than the intended range has an effect too. I once had a Honda CB125S on a dyno. It wouldn't pull to the red in top only in 4th. On the road I had it though the red out the other side in top

3 times. If it wouldn't pull to the red in top it was time to do the tappets and timing (about every 4 weeks 1000 miles). Dyno was loaded and calibrated for a CBX or CB1100F2, about all I achieved was to calibate my speedo.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Yup, the best you can expect for a normal-rpm 1300cc lump is about 80lbft.

As in they cross at the right rpm point? In that case, they have a systematic error, whcih would appear to be ~25%) on thier torque measurement, which propagates through to the power

You sure it's a petrol lump? :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yes.

Absolutely! That's why I like it... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Thats around the same as a totally standard 55bhp K10 micra :) lol

Reply to
Ed

I don't doubt it, but isn't the K10 around 100 kg lighter, heh? :)

Reply to
DervMan

At least I would expect. The best club time currently held for a standard K10 (not mine or other conversions) is 18.1 Thats from a 60bhp 1.2 Micra super S

Reply to
Ed

Good job that the drag strip doesn't have any corners, then, eh? :p

Reply to
DervMan

If it did the Ka would loose so badly you wouldn't even know ;)

Reply to
Ed