Price of car too high?Will it run on unleaded?

Er - yes, thats what I said. If I'd been talking about a different engine, I'd have said "Just as the corsa engine has".

Anyway, how is your quest for a modern small non-turbo diesel going?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

LOL! that's stupid!

my MR2 says 'Twin Cam 16 Turbo' down the side but that's the only clue really, oh and raised engine vents to the nerdy people and normally badged GT or GT-S. i've got used to the stealthy look, not many MR2 turbo's round my way :)

Reply to
Vamp

Oh yeah, short memory, comes with age.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

LOL that too, although, it seems that Toyota and Saab must assume very well educated owners because the sticker was in multi language in both, Swedish, English and German, or Japanese, English and French.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Spookily enough, I saw one last week. Noticed it /because/ it had been so long since I'd seen one, particularly a turbo. Used to love them 10 years or so ago, just seems old and slow now (altho I do still like them for some perverse reason).

Reply to
LordyUK

Well, not really. BMW/Peugeot's new forced-induction lumps are high-pressure. VAG and Ford (inc Volvo etc.) and Subaru and Mitsubishi and Vauxhall (inc SAAB etc.) and Renault all use high-pressure. Alfa's soon-to-arrive V6 Turbo is a high-pressure system.

Hell, I can't think of hardly any mainstream manufacturers who DON'T use high-pressure-turbo systems these days :) Toyota don't, do they ? And Fiat ? And Rover ? And that's about it ?

Reply to
Nom

Er, no I'm not. Read my post again please :)

I repeat - read my post again please :)

Reply to
Nom

LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of cars are Turbocharged these days - read my other post.

What ?

Lack of Turbo is a backward-step - they're hardly likely to become less common !

Reply to
Nom

Nor in any of the Turbo cars I've ever been in ?

Reply to
Nom

I specifically listed both poor-treatment and nice-treatment scenarios, and he went rambling on about how I was assuming they were treated properly ? What sort of sense is that :)

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com slurred :

...in fact it's impossible. A good 1.4 non-turbo diesel will produce ~90Nm (peak).

Reply to
Albert T Cone

brought

I don't know why I said that. I was supposed to say the more miles it's done, not the older it is. That's it now, end of this discussion!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

What do you consider High pressure in a modern petrol engine?

The Saab from 84 was running a trim 40 T3 pushing out 12psi The Celica from 90 uses a Toyota CT26, and only makes 8psi max, controlled by the ECU.

The turbo can easily make 14-16PSI, but Toyota chose to make it what I consider a lowblow setup.

This in a normal family turbo saloon/hatch, not the latest thing for the boy racers or rallyslag wannabees.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The message from Sleeker GT Phwoar contains these words:

14psi on my Montego TD.
Reply to
Guy King

Conveniently snipped "What do you consider High pressure in a modern petrol engine?" from the start then :)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The message from Sleeker GT Phwoar contains these words:

OOh, yes, sorry.

Reply to
Guy King

LOL

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Maybe 8-9psi or more ?

And 6-7psi or less, I'd consider low-blow ?

Reply to
Nom

See that is the difference. The old turbo saloons started at arround

10PSI (the old Looney lag/boom monsters like the early beemers and Saabs and Audis) and went up from there.

Saabs 7-9PSI car was a light pressure turbo. There wasn't an APC controlling boost, or an IC, so it varied according to atmospheric conditions.

The Celica has over 200BHP from the factory, the Saab had 185, both 2 litre 16v turbos, yet the Celica runs 8PSI max from the Factory, while the Saab ran 12PSI. I think that is why the Saab felt faster. T3 means Lag and then very steep ramp up and higher boost when it came in and a 5.5k redline and 6k hard rev limit. CT26 means very flat boost curve, boost dropping off slightly but another 1500revs to the redline and further to the rev limit. It doesn't make as much boost but it keeps making most of it boost all the way to the redline. Probably if the Celica was limited in the same way as the Saab, it would come out at arround the 170-180bhp mark.

Really must get that MBC sorted.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar