Project ideas

As I have said before I could still be very tempted. Depends on timing and price though. I'm suppose to be saving for a wedding, but my current plan of attack is that cheap cars don't depreeciate so when I come to sell it (before Aug 09) I won't have lost any money and all will be good ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Heh.

I'm fortunate with Katie - she hasn't made any discouraging noises about building a fleet of bikes in the garage.

She's even quite happy about the idea of swapping the VFR800 for a Ducati ST4S, which is nice :-)

Reply to
SteveH

Nat tends to object at first but gradually comes round to my way of thinking. She now loves the SD1, and my (aka Vamps) MR2 grew on her so much we bought one for her.

Although she never really liked the 360. Or the BX. Ah well.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

She wouldn't even let you look at Jags for the company bus though, and had veto'd the C30 till you showed her the R-Desgin hehe :-p

You should all have two cars, then there would be no argument "This is my car, I'll have what I like, and you have what you like".

Reply to
DanB

Well, she doesn't like the Jag, but as she said 'it's your company car'

- and yes, she doesn't like the V50 in black as 'it looks like a hearse'

- but again, it was 'it's your car, though'.....

Heh, works here. It just happens that she's chosen something I like, too.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't you think that's really selfish of her - you effectively get no say?

When cars are supposedly a hobby/passion of yours of whatever, you should be allowed at least a say. Fair enough, compromise on something that's big enough for all your needs, economical enough etc - but you should get a shortlist of everything in the world that fits your needs - in your price bracket, which would be a HUGE list, the it should be 95% your choice - just allowing a slight leeway in case she can't drive it or whatever.

Reply to
DanB

I do that just for myself.

and so do I.

Reply to
Pete M

Meh I suppose. We have one car between the two of us. We'd not use a second car; what we run needs to satisfy pretty much crude requirements: we both have to like it.

Nah it'll be fine.

Reply to
DervMan

It would be but...

...I've mislead everybody. I've divorced what I want* from what I need** from what we need*** with what I probably should be seen in for work****.

I have more than half say, can't really put a ratio to it but then I have a good idea about what I'll tolerate and what I'll enjoy. Charlie's only crude requirement is that she is comfortable with it. That means driving and sitting in it with room for "stuff." We both veto the others' choice, which is why we're not driving around in a Saab 9-5 or Citroen C2.

When we move to America we'll probably have the space and requirement for his and hers wheels but for the time being it isn't the case.

For the time being the 9-3 Sports Saloon is a great compromise. It's Saab enough for me and modern enough for Charlie. She says that it's too big as a Focus is about the biggest she wants, nor does it have a V8.

*Kermy mark two, mark one MR2, 70s 911, 80s 911, 80s 944, 70s Saab 99 GL, 1.8 K-series Caterham, 80s Lotus Elan Turbo, Dino 246, anything with a TVR badge, a V8 and unlimited breakdown cover, early 80s Rover SD 2.4 turbodiesel, any M5, any current shape 5-series diesel. **80s 911, any current shape 5-series diesel. ***four seat, leather, not punishing running costs. ****who cares what I should be seen in for work! :)
Reply to
DervMan

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"Is it safe to assume you've just bought the old Saab outside? Looks like a good 'un"

Reply to
Adrian

i got bored with saabs, so bought a merc 190e 2.3 16, great fun...

Reply to
john

My philosophy is slightly different - I'll have what I like, and you'll have what I like too ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'd love one, but they're a bit too far out of my price range for this car.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I used to operate on a 'I'll have what I like, then when I get bored of it you can have it'

Reply to
SteveH

Plenty of LPTs around ripe for modding as they've usually been owned by old gits IME and not caned :-)

There's at least two 3 doors on ebay for over £4000! even being optimistic, he's at least 2500 over the mark!

Yes, I think you are spot on there.

ha ha

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I get "will you be picking me up in the same car you did yesterday or do I need to look out for something else?"

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I did that with my ex-wife. I have no reason to wonder why she's my ex... ;-) She drove all sorts of stuff - T16s, 2.8 Capris, 2CVs, diesel passat estates. Even rode my CBR600 a few times..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Buy a tatty 190E for peanuts, then drop a V8 in.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If I was dropping a V8 into anything, it'd be a TVR lump into the SD1 ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I had an SD1 Vitesse with a TVR lump. I miss it.

Reply to
Pete M