Propane

I know f*ck all about this... But I've read here and there that running gas results in slightly lower performance figures. But I've also read that gas has a higher octane rating than petrol - 108 or there abouts?

Can someone set me straight here? I've googled a bit but the results have mainly been about diesel propane injection, or the usual LPG conversion sites, then I gave up... If the octane rating is higher, how come the performance figures are lower? Is a stock LPG conversion(?) putting 'less' gas in than it would petrol? If that's the case can you wind the mixture/boost up to compensate? Does LPG give a charge cool effect? etc.?

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

It does. So even though it gives slightly less power, you can raise the compression ratio of the engine to compensate, without fear of pinking.

Hoever, your average LPG install isn't going to do this, for obvious reasons (ie, a new set of fitted pistons will cost *PLENTY*), so you'll be a smidgeon down on power.

Reply to
Nom

That is correct.

As I understand it, it has a higher octane, but a lower calorific value for the same ammount of propane as petrol.

Higher octane means it will resist knock/pinking/pre-ignition better than petrol, so on a purpose built LPG gas only engine you could raise the compression to get more bang, and run more ignition advance.

But the lower calorific value means that it will take more fuel to convert the same ammount of energy when burnt compared to petrol.

Also gas conversions need some kind of upper cylinder lubrication (especially on older vehicles) because propane/LPG/CNG are a "dry" fuel, and don't have their own built in lubricants like petrol does.

Cars that are duel fuel and spend a lot of time on petrol usually get away with it, but LPG only, and cars that spend most of their duel fuel time on gas benefit.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I think its pretty similar...????

Or run more boost!!! Or Nitrous... or both...

Reply to
Burgerman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Not very scientific but "LPG has only 80 per cent of the calorific value of petrol and so you get only eight miles of motoring for every ten using petrol. In other words, the quoted combined mpg of the Streetwise (as tested) of 37.8 mpg in petrol mode becomes around 30 mpg when cooking on gas. "

From

MeatballTurbo

Odd, I thought all petroleum based fuels were pretty similar. Diesel is around 15,000 to 15,500 calories per pound... Petrol goes from

14,400 to 14,700, Paraffin 15,000 ish etc. But maybe its the case. 80 percent sounds a bit extreme though...
Reply to
Burgerman