Pug 407 Coupe

Managed to track one down today.

Didn't bother with a test drive as it was only the 2.0 pikey spec - the GTs that I'm interested in are so significantly different I didn't think it was worthwhile.

Just looking on the 'Trader, seems a 2 year old GT 2.7HDI with red leather will cost me about £12-£13k.

Kit levels are high, build quality seems good, dash layout is a bit confusing with all the buttons - but factory sat. nav., GSM phone and a JBL audio system with 10 speakers and a sub are all standard.

Very, very tempted. If only for the rarity of them.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

CIHAGM?

Reply to
Adrian

If it's what I finally decide on, of course.

Katie likes 'em - and given that one of the reasons I'm opting out is to give her a half decent car for commuting after 3 years, this could be the best option.

She's also said she'd be happy with the S-Type, though.

But not the Hyundai Coupe - which was my budget option.

Haven't asked about the S60 yet, but I can't see that being a problem either, as she likes them, too....

So I have a shortlist of 3, maybe 4 at the moment: Jags S and X (but only a 3lt AWD wagon), Pug 407 coupe, S60. Order of preference would be, at the moment, Pug 407, S, S60, X.

Reply to
SteveH

I know it isn't what you were after, but if I was going to spend decent=20 money on an OK car, this would be something I could live with, even if=20 it is french.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Ugly, not enough power, depreciates like a Kia Magentis.

No thanks.

407 Coupes seem to level off a bit after a couple of years, or certainly slow the rate at which they drop to a significant extent.

I reckon the 2.7HDI is probably the one to have in this respect, as it's cheaper on VED than the petrol, a bit more economical and offers almost exactly the same performance as the 3.0V6 petrol.

I really want a 2.7HDI GT if I do this - preferably black with oxblood leather.

Reply to
SteveH

That sounds a bit like an Alfa combination.

Reply to
Elder

That's probably why it appeals.

Can't find one, though - closest is an 'aluminium' with oxblood.

Still, I'm not going to sign on the line until late Sept / early Oct.

Reply to
SteveH

I like 'em. This won't surprise anyone. I loved the 406 Coupe as well, I think they still look better than the 407 Coupe, they haven't aged badly at all. But the 407 Coupe is allegedly better built, in PSA's new prestige factory where the Citroen C6 is put together as well. As opposed to by some wops in Pininfarina like the 406 Coupe...

They have awesome levels of kit, and that one with the red leather (the leather is on the dash too) was very nice lookin inside. Shame it was silver outside - but that's just me heh. I'd want that one, but black :-) And if there are any uprade alloys (I haven;t seen any though) it'd be nice to have them. It seems there were no options on the GT, it just had EVERYTHING :-) The seats will be like the 406, when you want them forward for people to get in the back, you just tilt them and they move forward themselves electrically hehe. I've never seen a 406 Coupe that had the option, where they'd broken either - so that's a nice surprise!

Like all Pugs, if it has some mileage, listen for knocks etc from the suspension - bushes wear and nice and cheap to replace. The diesel is the only option here obviously, as I imagine the 3.0 V6 is woefully underpowered for a 1,800kg car - the torque of the 2.7TT D will be very handy. Also, the boot will be cavernous, but you might find the actual opening a bit restrictive - that's the case on the 406 Coupe and Astra Coupe, huge boot with a smallish entrace. Also, it'll be a 4 seater. 2 deep, almost bucketed rear seats with a raised centre area, that'll be an armrest and possibly open up into a storage bin etc.

In summary, I would, but then, no one ever agrees with me except Doug heh, so who knows what that means :-)

Reply to
DanB

407 coupe. That is a box of frogs. In order to want one you would have to be madder than that.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Stop it. You're making me ill.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I always liked the 406 - and I agree with you that it's prettier than the

407. So there. And either are loads more interesting than the wossat, A4, etc.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Wow, someone else agreed with me :-) Thanks dude :-) :-)

Well, yea....

Reply to
DanB

Yea, the S60 shouldn't even be on there.

Reply to
DanB

I think you'll find it won't be.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed, it'll be a Biggus Diccus.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Remember how I burst out laughing when you mentioned that one...? Oh, yes, then suggested the 407 coupe...

Reply to
Adrian

What? Eh? EH? WHAT?

EIGHTEEN HUNDRED KILOS?

How the f*ck did that happen? The 406 Diesel estate only weighs 1500 or so and that surprised me - I was expecting more like 1300.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The 4-pot petrol coupe is about 1,600kg, the v6 petrol 1,700, the v6 HDi

1,800 - so that's one heavy engine. The coupe's about 70kg heavier than the 407 saloon - full-spec 4-pot diesel 407 saloons (we don't see the v6 HDi over here) are north of 1,600kg.
Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but HOW?

Reply to
Doki

Four cylinder diesels of this size exceeded 1,300 kg with the original Mondeo and Xantia; the rest followed very shortly afterwards. 15 years ago.

Reply to
DervMan