Pug 407 Coupe

Its the same XU block with a longer stroke. There have been 3 or 4 XU engined cars through the Stable here.

We've still got one.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Both were XUDs - came in 1769 and 1905cc versions.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

They're great engines, in my opinion. Of course, the PSA group also stuffed the underbonnets with sound insulation and gave them wobbly engine mounts and suchlike, but getting into something with the XUD under the bonnet after time with our Endura-D or TDI stuff; was always good.

Although I never did own a Xantia or 406 TD, I enjoyed driving them (the Xantia VSX at least, because that had comfortable seats; the SX didn't).

Reply to
DervMan

"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

& 2088cc three-valve.
Reply to
Adrian

Our 406 2.1 TD was never particularly economical but I liked it a lot nevertheless.

What type was the 2.5, just out of interest?

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There was also a non-turbo version of the 2.1 - we never saw it in the UK, and it didn't appear in the 406 or Xant, just the XM/605 (and possibly vans).

"DK5" is the code for it - it's related to (but different, with the addition of balancer shafts etc) the 2.5 and 2.8 in the Relay/Boxer/ Ducato vans.

Reply to
Adrian

Back in the day, the 2.1 406 and Xantia were the quickest of the fleet car genre. We ran a Laguna 2.2 diesel, the non-turbo, which wasn't anywhere near as quick as its 85 bhp would suggest. :-)

And come to think of it, I did try the Laguna 2.2 TD when it was launched but despite it having more power than the 406 2.1 TD, it felt very lazy. As I remember, very tall gearing didn't help matters either.

Right. As I remember, the 2.5 didn't see service in UK XMs, instead we had to make do with the 2.1. And the 2.5 Italian diesel in the Rover 825 was a different beast... as I remember.

Our 825TD let go of the cambelt on the M25.

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Absolutely - a VM lump. The PSA 2.5 (which we certainly did get in XMs, but only with a manual box) was an internal lump.

Reply to
Adrian

Right. I don't remember ever seeing one. That said and it's very unfortunate, but I don't see many XMs any more either... :-/

Plenty of ZX diesels about mind you!

Reply to
DervMan

I've definitely seen 2.5TD XMs kicking about on autotrader/ebay in the past. Direct injection engine IIRC.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Right! I've seen one in France but never over here. That written, I don't see many XMs any more...

Reply to
DervMan