Quick carPC question

I'm finalising my carpc plans now and i've still one thing to figure out. I need a way of getting sound out of the damn thing. Whats the normal way for doing this? I wasn't intending running any sort of normal head unit but i suppose i could if i had to but as i'm using a din sized flip out screen its gonna have to be mounted elsewhere

I'm confuzzled

Reply to
Chet

CarPC line outs to 4 channel amp. Use the acc line of the ignition switch through a soft-start circuit to stop the amp "bumping", or use a 12v line from the CarPC instead of the ignition switch, to fire a relay and another 12v line from the car to operate remote switch on. Most decent motherboard do two stereo line outs, if not 5.1 (front pair/rear pair/Sub and centre).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

What i did was...

Personally I would use an External Soundblaster Live, they are cheap (30 quid) and dont rely on the power from the PC itself, you don't get the crackles through the speakers either, as it is properly shielded, they are made for laptops.

Connect it to the PC usually via the USB port, then connect it to an AMP using a phono convertor, which converts normal single mini phono to RCA.

I then connected the amp to the speakers via the front wiring behind the stereo, I routed the cables for all the speakers down a different side of the car, and the power down the otherside, eliminating any noise.

Reply to
Ronny

Thats the puppy there. Yes i know i could probably build myself something alot cheaper but thats just it, i can't build something!

Its only got 1 line out according to that

Reply to
Chet

Can i have normal balance/fader controls using it that way?

USB sounds like a good thing, i've never managed to f*ck it up before :)

Reply to
Chet

Oh what you want then is either a digital amp or a DAC and a normal amp "1 x SPDIF Port (Dolby Digital Sound)"

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Off to google i go!

Reply to
Chet

USB sound box (creative / terratec / M audio) connected to the inputs of any old car amp.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

YKIMS

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I got all excited until i seen the price!

Reply to
Chet

Sorted, terratec do something ideal, just need to get some adapters off ebay and some dusty old amps

Cheers

Chet

Reply to
Chet

Yeah, put the Terratec one in a 190E. Works very well.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The Epia M10000 Mini-ITX boards I plan to use have 5.1 AC97 was planning on using channels out and a line in for a mic for handfree car phone.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Convinced the brother to get one for me and picked up a Trust one from ebay and a few 3.5mm jack>RCA convertors.

Yey :)

Chet

Reply to
Chet