Quite possibly the funniest thing all year!

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh dear god no.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

> agenumber=1

proves some people think they are too clever not to read the instructions or too stupid and read the instructions!! lol

Hampton

Reply to
G Hampton

Quick question how much strain does nitrous put on an engine?

now don't laugh Ahhh I said no laughing I am not an experienced mechanic and would have the job professionally done but what affect would nitrous have on a Reliant 850 engine (I said stop laughing) I have a trike which has just a a fully recondition engine, rebuilt gearbox and all the other bits starter alternator, carb rebuild etc fitted (professionally especially after reading the link above) so questions

1, could a reliant engine (reconditioned and unleaded) sustaine the extra strain 2, is there a better way of getting more power out of an 850 Reliant lump? 3, if nitrous was fitted how long does the boost (Safely) last for. 4, any sensible engine mods i could try (i dont want extreme power, just something that would give me a bit of extra whellie when i needed it.

i must point out that i am a mechanicle novice so my questions may be stupid, but they are serious (which i am not sure is good or bad)

Okay now you can laugh

Ps it is haviing a custom stainless exhaust fitted soon, and the old 'kettle' air filter will be going, but other than that it is standard

any hekp appreciated

Yoda out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

I race cars with the reliant 850 engine in. At the races, the engines are almost all towards 85bhp (from a standard 30ish if I remember correctly) and we dont use nitrous! As im new to it all I dont have all the details but the engines tend to have lightened cranks, lightened flywheels, electric fuel pump, are balanced, inlet and outlets are smoothed and flowed, 4-1 exhaust manifold, and thats all I can think of. Dont expect it to be reliable though, the engines usually get rebuilt every 3-6 races for us.

So, all in all, you shouldnt need to nitrous it up! But you might need to learn abit more about how to rebuild it when it throws a big end, snaps the crank, breaks the engine into bits etc (seen all of those within a year).

Max

Reply to
Max Hamlet

The 750CC Reliant lump has been used for racing in many different cars. IIRC the 850 is pretty much the same motor, so should respond to tuning just as well.

You should be able to put nitrous on it anyway. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you don't use it all the time..

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Mike P in Brazil

Correct. That's why putting an 600cc or 900cc-bike-engine in, is a cheap alternatif to the tuned 850 cc Reliant-engine.

On the other side: a 50 HP-Reliant should be as bombproof as the orginal one and still be a healthy 20 HP up.

Both solutions are cheap if you can do the work yourself. Don't know what it spells for insurance though, but I suppose mayhem will come pretty close.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

would getting inlet and outlets smoothed and flowed, and a 4-1 exhaust manifold, make much difference without messing inside the engine? Yoda Out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

Check Burgerman's website for lots of nitrous info including how to build your own system

Homer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospamblueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Think about maybe going for bike carbs too, from a performance bike of a similar size engine, with the manifold adapted to suit.

Going multicarb might help get more juice in too. And a bank of 4 Mikunis would look pretty impressive on a reliant lump.

I won't laugh, I used to run arround in a matt black reliant robin van with 1 bucket seat, a sports steering wheel, and L plates.

BTW, I think Ligier supercharge the reliant engine in their kit car.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ohhh supercharging, now there's a though Yoda out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

As it's a trike it will be insured by a kit car insurance policy they tend to be quite good on price, even when you do big engine mods.

Reply to
Depresion

yep insurance aint a problem, it is cheap even with crazy engine mods on it they only require for the cc of the engine and as it is 'custom built' the 'has it been modified' question becomes irrelevant.

Yoda Out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

Porting the heads is messing inside the engine, more or less.

The idea is to remove the head and using a dremel tool, grind away material so that the tubes through the head carrying air in and out of the engine are larger and smoother than the original casting. Helps airflow at higher engine speeds a lot. Can reduce torque at lower engine speeds, but you won't have a lot of that anyway, hardly the engine most people would list near the top of the "most grunty" stakes.

Reply to
antispam