R2D2 fitted, need some advice

I have the R2D2 fitted now but i'm not sure if i have it set up right.

From the box it was adjusted right in, to its tightest. Out on the road it didn't work, it made the chattering noise it does without a DV. Keet stopping and adjusting it out half a turn until it started to make a quiet 'whoosh' eventually it was slackened off all the way but its still quite quiet and i still have the chatter.

I don't understand these feckin things :( Maybe i'm just not running enough boost? (5psi) The old normal non piston DV worked fine and was quite loud at the same boost.

Someone fix it!

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Possibly sold, yey!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - For Sale

Reply to
Chet

Have you considered using the force? Oh by the way that girl you are attracted to id your sister. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

In article , snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

5PSI should be enough. Silly question but it is a vacuum line you have hooked the small hose into isn't it?

Is there another vac hose you could try?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

5PSI isnt going to tickle that matey.
Reply to
Mason

Yeah its on a vacuum direct from the inlet manifold. I'll have another look at it when i manage to get out of bed :)

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Possibly sold, yey!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - For Sale

Reply to
Chet

You didn't put it into a big line to a brake servo did you?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Got my Samco silicon T piece. Bit of a Bitch though, the T spout is

25mm, the DV is 30mm.

What a pig, I've either got to stretch the rubber, or get a short length of 30mm, and a joiner. And the pigging stuff won't stretch.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Aye, my old outlet was 25mm silicone. It stretched with a bit of effort!

I'm considering cutting my spring, any DV i look up similar to the R2D2 is rated at 10-25psi so i think my 5psi is the problem.

Bizarrely i've noticed it doesn't dump at all when the cars cold :-s

Reply to
Chet

in news:cmq5gb$dgp$ snipped-for-privacy@kermit.esat.net, "Chet" slurred :

I've probably completely misunderstood what you are suggesting, but cutting the spring will actually make it stiffer - you'll get less movement per unit force applied, so if you are trying to make the valve open with less pressure drop than spec. then it might not work.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Oh, bugger, thats what i was suggesting. I had read it on the net somewhere regarding a different DV

Reply to
Chet

It isn't just the boost that opens the valve, the vacuum does that (albeit assisted a little by boost), otherwise it'd be dumping all the time like a mouse who just ate a curry.

Is the car pulling much vacuum on your boost guage when you lift off the throttle? Check for vac leaks. Make sure the plumbing is right. Otherwise, perhaps there is a different spring you can buy for the R2D2.

However if you're only dumping a max of 5psi, you won't really get a very loud dump and you've kind of wasted your money buying a valve for its sound. Do you only run 5psi because the car won't take any more, or because something stops working properly when you do?

Reply to
fishman

I'm aware of that sonny :)

Somethin like -12psi on vacuum. DV is running its own vacuum from the inlet manifold.

The old DV was loud enough on the same boost before. I run 5psi because of

10:1CR, 95RON fuel and a slightly inefficient intercooler
Reply to
Chet

"Chet" wrote

Sounds good enough, maybe the R2D2 doesn't like your paintjob... Try the spring out of your old DV? The R2D2 is probably designed for super high boosting jap nutmobiles.

10:1 CR? Confuddling - I remember you posting a link showing your lovely new pistons??

When's meatball going to install his? We need a comparison!

Reply to
fishman

LOL

Yeah thats what i'm starting to think, i'll pull it apart after work and see if the springs are swappable

That was the old project turbo, i still have those pistons but need a 2.0 engine to fit them in. This ones boggo 1.8 and so far i'm quids in on it from the money i got back from the old bits.

Its quite worrying when a typically lazy irishman gets his on before the normally hands on meatball!

Reply to
Chet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@turdburglar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

This weekend hopefully. With being work busy etc.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

But a lazy irishman who works in family garage and has petrol head brothers close buy compared to me who works in an office from dawn till dark, has no garage and needs to remove the intercooler to fit the DV.

Need daylight.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Fair point, well made. BTW slipping the clutch at standstill to test your DV is a bad idea.

/me goes pricing uprated clutches

Reply to
Chet

Lol. Think about Helix clutches if you can afford.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

is a bad idea.

LOL i just love chet's car testing techniques :)

Reply to
Vamp