Radical modification

That's one hot golf.

Reply to
Depresion

Looks like the turbo started it, prob a T28 or some Hybrid K04.

Looks like they had a extinguisher but didn't use it on the engine?

Reply to
Ronny

May have been a stock K03 as they are know to run hotter than K04s and the GT28RS (for some reason known as the disco potato)

Reply to
Depresion

I want a GT28 :) apparently 350 bhp on stock internals on the 1.8T :)

Reply to
Ronny

Stock internals will go bang at much passed 300bhp as shown by JBS in there Octavia (IIRC running GT28) it's now running H-Beam con rods & forged pistons to put out 450bhp.

Reply to
Depresion

I thought that went bang using a standard turbo but running some stupid Boost level, like 24 PSI?

Reply to
Ronny

It seems odd that they allowed the car to burn when one of them obviously had a fire extinguisher. I hope he declared the modifications to the insurance company!

Reply to
Rob

How else do you plan to get 350bhp out of a 1.8 without running craploads of boost...

Reply to
DanTXD

Engineer it so that it revs *insanely* high? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I thought the same thing. Hope they didn't show the insurance guy the video. My cars always have a fire extinguisher in them. I figure even if I never use it I might be able to help some poor bastard out one day.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

For some reason, I'd assumed car interiors were made of flame-retardant materials ?

Is that not the case ?

So if you end up crashed and stuck in your car, and something sets alight, then you're totally screwed ??

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

I think the materials are retardent, insofar as they won't burst into flames if you drop a cigarette end onto them. If you have an external source of heat (e.g. oil on turbo, large section wiring short etc..) which gets hot enough to start boiling volatiles out of the plastics then they _will_ burn, and because of the oven-like nature of a car it accelerates very rapidly.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It's how you run that boost though. Standard turbo run faster and making more, or hybrid/replacement running standard but making more and flowing better.

More lag but more boost and a cooler charge than the standard blower working it's nuts off.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've seen the interior of a vauxhall vectra (one of our spare pool cars) that was torched one weekend. Essentially it didn't have one.

The dash was a sagged melted puddle, and the seats were like wire framed deckchairs. The heat even twisted the frames of them.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

But to get 350bhp (which is well over 100bhp more than standard), you're still gonna need to run craploads of boost :)

Reply to
DanTXD

And replacement Con Rods as one snapped at 310bhp (but they had been ragging it round for a year).

Reply to
Depresion

Ah, i read it as, stock internals good till 350bhp :)

Reply to
DanTXD

There are people running that but I wouldn't expect too much reliability if you use it all on a regular basis.

Reply to
Depresion

But Turbo's don't do the whole, revving like a bastard, thing very well do they?

Reply to
DanTXD

They can do, with a short stroke crank and VVT helps.

Reply to
Depresion