Rally GB

What kind of overpaid, whinging women are rally drivers these days:

20 years ago, they'd be out in Kielder, at 4am, in 2ft of snow.

:rollseyes:

Reply to
SteveH

Boggle. Though I'd not blame the rally drivers, but the event organisers.

I still remember the RAC rally when it snowed and Stig Blomquist came third in a favorit (2wd, 1300cc wasn't it? anyway he made the big 4wd guys look silly).

Reply to
Clive George

Sad. Just sad...

Reply to
Abo

w.italiancar.co.uk- Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

We need hairy chested giant killers like John Haugland and Erik Carlsson back behind the wheel.

Reply to
carl.robson

You wouldn't have the balls to do it on ice with mud and gravel tyres at the speed they do.

Reply to
Conor

WTF has that got to do with anything? Apart from the fact that we are talking about rally drivers here, and not us lot, they could still rally on the wrong rubber - they would have less grip, and wouldn't be able to go as fast, but it would still be a reasonably fair competition and still entertaining. As far as I can see from the article, the reason the stages were cancelled was some kind of liability management by the organisers, and nothing to do with the drivers. And that is a sad state of affairs.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Maybe not, but *they* used to! I remember when I was 17 or 18, my mate Andy and I used to go to just about any motorsport we could, regardless of where it was, what the conditions were like etc. We were up in Kielder for the Lombard RAC more than once in the snow, with the stuff on the stages packed so hard and polished up so you couldn't stand on it yet the drivers were still attacking, even into the dark.

Reply to
Abo

Another load of bullshit from the FIA from what I read briefly this morning

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I know I was.

I've never been so cold in my life.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I was as good, and more importly experienced as they are.

Why not? Modern rally cars are virtually in destructable, so even if with my new skill and experience I crashed, it probably wouldn't damage me that much anyway. I've always wanted to do rallying, it looks so much fun to be a driver :-D

Reply to
DanB

As others have said, it's entirely the FIAs fault for their new tyre regs. Although, the 4th stage could have been junked for time reasons, what with the competitors so comparatively slow this year.

Reply to
DanB

Don't really care who is to blame - it's a disgrace that rally stages can be cancelled because it's a bit slippery.

Reply to
SteveH

Erm, I think you know full well that the first thing to do when *anything* goes wrong in this country (world?) is to find someone to blame! ;-)

I totally agree though, if it's too slippy, they could always slow down a bit... Although I guess that if hardly anyone finished because they didn't have ice tyres, then the spectacle of the final stages would be lame. Rossi would probably win... Well, he might anyway!

Reply to
DanB

Others being me.

Reply to
Conor

Rossi? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Valentino.

Motorcycling legend.

Reply to
SteveH

Exactly. He might have done well at Monza, but that was on tarmac. On gravel over several stages with ice and snow I'd be very surprised if he finished in the top 15. Or even finishes at all come to that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a great fan of his, but IMO he lacks the experience in rallying to do well.

I think his motive in entering is more to do with supporting the charity, and having fun, rather than any ambition to win. Not that he wont try.:-) Mike..

Reply to
Mike G

I think a few people got a bit over-excited because he once beat McRae on a super-special demonstration stage - Rossi was in an Impreza WRC and Colin was in an Octavia WRC. Rossi won by the very narrowest of margins.

But you can't extrapolate anything from that, as it was one of these artificial 'stadium' races and he was in a hugely superior car.

Reply to
SteveH