Re: Audi TT / Rover 620ti - V Cool or V Uncool ?

Which it does. Only the 225bhp model had any poke about it, and I hardly ever see them. All the ones I see are the poverty-spec ones :)

Reply to
Nom

Why would I mean only ?

Don't you think the "200bhp, big, comfortable, easy to maintain/fix, cheap to insure, highly specced, and handles the power very well with it's TorSen diff" are worthy talents as well ?

Reply to
Nom

I don't. My excellent 200bhp Accord-in-drag is a great car - if mine died tomorrow, I'd probably replace it with another.

Accord-in-drag every time.

2.0 Turbo, with a flat torque-curve from 2100rpm upwards, makes for an EXCELLENT drive.
Reply to
Nom

Seconded.

Open your eyes Steve ! There are PLENTY of good cars that aren't Italian, and there are plenty more s**te cars that ARE Italian.

Reply to
Nom

The engines are bullet-proof - the T-Series lump is very old, and has had MANY years of development. Electrics and Interior are all Japanese, nicked from the Accord. What else is there to go wrong ? (ignoring the shitty gearbox)

Who cares ? The Rover costs pennies - when it dies, by another. Cars in this bracket are disposable items. I only ever keep my cars for a couple of years anyhow, so it's only gotta last that long.

600s don't have any inherent rust problems.

Yup - that's a good thing BTW.

Where do you get this stuff ?

Agreed. I want big, fast, comfortable, and cheap - the TI fills all of these criteria. As a bonus, it comes as a sleeper from the factory !

Reply to
Nom

Does that make it the new 911 (do we remember the 80's???)

Dangerous in the wrong hands and all for show? In that case in another 20 years we'll be scouring for a good one because they're now a "classic"?

Reply to
Phil Howard

Tell me about it. Bloke at work got an Alfa GTV that cost £3k more than my Ti.

His car has to have spent at least 2 weeks total in the garage in the last 4 months. What an utter, utter heap of unreliable crap. He's had to have it towed home twice. It's only done 60k for crying out loud! I've been out in it and can't hear the stereo for the noise of the wind outside coming through the shagged door/window seals. Simple things like a cambelt change are costing him a small fortune. And the worst part is that as he is self-employed, every day he takes off work due to another breakdown is £100 down the pan instantly.

Funny thing is, looking on the car review websites, this is not an isolated incident for an Alfa.

Meanwhile, my heap of s**te Accord in drag has spent approx 4 hours in the garage since I got it 13 months ago.

1 hour for new tyres to be fitted, 2 hours for a precautionary cambelt change, and 1 hour for the MOT last month.

Give me that anyday over a slower car that looks like a chunk of Toblerone, is nowhere near as fast (this gutted my friend) and what is possibly it's only redeeming feature - it's RWD handling - can't be enjoyed because it's always in the sodding garage opening your wallet.

Reply to
A.

If it's a current GTV - not an Alfetta GTV - then it's FWD.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It's a W reg. He told me it was rear! Oh well, even less reason to buy one then. Don't get me wrong, I have a FWD car, but if I was in the market for a small coupe, i'd insist on RWD.

Reply to
A.

Err, don't think this was meant to go here was it? :-)

Because I know of at least 4 Ti owners in this group, and I know of no TT owners.

That's because they've got better things to do than hang around on a modifications NG, like go and play golf down the country club. I have a set of clubs and would like to go play too, but I can barely afford the green fees at my local pitch-and-putt, hence why i'm here, and hence why I own a Ti!

Reply to
A.

snip

A proper T5-R? Sweet. How much?

Yeuch.

Not much room for modding then :-(

Indeed.

Reply to
Jamesy

snip

Ahem, Volvo launched the T5-R in a huge marketing drive to change their image (which worked, big-time). If you didn't know what it was by the time you saw one, you weren't interested in cars. Period.

Stuff and nonsense. :-P

Reply to
Jamesy

snip

No, he's wrong - he said the TT went faster than it looked. Sheesh

Reply to
Jamesy

To misquote:

"Your anti-Alfa, anti-BMW comments are sounding more and more like a jaundiced, closed-mind opinion of anything _not_ Ka."

Reply to
Scott M

snip

Dangerous in the wrong hands, yes, but the 911 was never "all for show". In the right hands, they're devastatingly quick!!!

Reply to
Jamesy

But the Ka's great 'cause it handles a bit and it's cheap and errr........... :-))

-- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

The poster formerly known as John Fitzgerald ( I needed a stage name ). John dot fitz at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The E34's a hell of a car if you get one with a good sized engine - avoid the 520i like the plague! Its also big, fast, comfy & cheap :o)

Pete (E34 535i)

Reply to
Pete

LOL! I had a Fiat Stilo (diesel) as a pool car from work last year - I felt much the same way at the prospect of driving that ever again!

Reply to
Pete

its that big tbh, the interiors are poverty spec compared to many other cars of same value, it is fast and I respect it for that, but the power is going to the wrong end.

Reply to
Theo

Theo said "err no it isnt. your saying the TT is faster than it looks?"

You corrected him

Andy R replied saying "So he's right..." (I assume he's referring to Theo)

And I corrected /him/.

Come on man, keep up ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy