Re: battery testers?

anyone know if battery testers are any good? i hate to be caught out

> with a knackered battery and wonder if there is any good testers > avalible to show when your battery is getting a bit knackered.

A decent electronic tester ain't cheap - it will cost more than several new batteries.

Older types merely measure the voltage while a heavy current is being drawn. You can do this yourself using an ordinary DVM and the starter motor. Disable the ignition or fuel pump and turn it over. The battery voltage shouldn't drop below 10 volts with a decent charged battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Proper' ones these days are electronic and about the same size as a DVM. They use a short term pulse high current discharge, and can provide more information on the battery parameters than the old type.

With a bit of luck, they'll come down in price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, "Dave Plowman (News)" slurred :

Oh ah? Not seen one of those. It's about time though. Oh aye.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

First saw one about a couple of years ago at my local independant high street spares place - Speedy Spares. Neat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, "Vamp" slurred :

I wouldn't worry excessively about getting a flat battery, but carrying jump leads is well worthwhile in any case. It's usually not difficult to find a freindly type who will give you a jump. If you do get some, get some proper copper ones. Thicker is better - the current rating they quote on the packet is fairly meaningless.

Reply to
Albert T Cone