Re: BMW328?

> No. Don't do that bit. But the 2.8 engines aren't bad - ask Dave

> > Plowman, he's got a 528i. > ok i might not be gay and go 19's 17 or 18's would like this with the > right wheel design though but i'd only do it if it had pants naff basic > BMW wheels.

Most 328s seem to have the sports package. So bigger wheels than standard

3 Series.
528's too heavy plus the 3 series can be had in a 2 door :)

Yes - the 5 Series is definitely an old man's car. Ie, anyone over 30. ;-)

But have you had an insurance quote? Seems to me that after a ban it will be not which car you'd like, but which one you can actually get insurance for. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yup 2 quotes, MR2 turbo will be £1600 FC but a BMW 328 is only £960 FC! which is close to what i pay for the MR2 currently with 3 points! cheaper than an ST202 celica 2 litre! so sod jap crap i want a BMW lol

328 or 323 would do me, i want 4 seats and RWD so nothing comes close really, lexus would be nice but are to much still :(
Reply to
Vamp

325 is nice. Why FC?
Reply to
Conor

Try getting a quote for a Jaguar XK8. Just for a laugh. You might be surprised.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

because you get more shit when fully comp, and the difference between FC and

3rd party is like 100 so whats the point!
Reply to
Vamp

yeah don't see many 325's, basically want no smalled than 323 because 316,

318 and 320 are the lame ones!
Reply to
Vamp

The small Lexus of the age you're likely to afford isn't a patch on the equivalent 3 Series.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

exactly!

Reply to
Vamp

FC with a "HFM?" excess costs me less than third party only insurance with my current insurer. I went FC for the cheap windscreen and included legal cover.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Drive properly in one of those and you'll appreciate something decent in a few years....

No offence but it sounds like you have some growing up to do......;-)

Reply to
john

I've told him this, get what you can afford, anything faster than walking and more private than the bus will do.

If you go for something a bit odd and unwanted, you usually end up with a new hobby and a bunch of mates. Fiat 126 should be good for a bubble. You could even take the piss out of the cruise scene by sticking a shit load of SOT and neons on it, then put in a bike engine when you get something like sensible insurance again.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

got my heart set on the BMW now, stayed away from the MR2 club, realise my licence is a bit more valuable than i thought before. nice BMW with FSH and a big straight six and a lazy relaxed auto and leather seats and i'll be ok. learned me lesson and staying away from the jap stuff as it's to tempted and easy to be made quicker. i consider a fabia like my sisters but i like a bit of torque for pulling in and out into the right lane on dual carrigeways. an auto should put me off cutting people up at roundabout and a bigger car should slow me down a bit. i'll also be going to work without using the A130 from now on! bad news that road for me. should be ok with a BMW with service history and i'm gonna try and keep a car for longer than a year for a change. losing my licence has made me lose interest in things very quick. had an impreza come through work, went pretty cheap at 6-7k for a 2001 WRX but i wasn't tempted and never even bothered to look round it and have a sit in it.

Reply to
Vamp

ROTFL.

They're just as addictively quick, as most other fast stuff - it's one of the reasons why, much as I really like, and could afford one, I didn't get another six pot BMW, auto or otherwise.

You bury your foot, they shift.

The sound from the engine when you bury your foot is addictive enough to encourage you to open it up from time to time - my last E34 525i 24v showed

140 on the clock when I opened it right up, and that was a 'lazy auto'.

You're, with respect, living in a dream world IMHO.

Stop thinking with your heart, and start to use your head.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The days of the three speed autos that got into top as quickly as they could and then stayed there are long gone. The 5 speed ZF fitted to BMWs is anything but lazy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The early non Vanos 24 valve 525 was an incredibly sporty engine for a luxury barge - all top end and loved being revved. More suited to a manual than auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh... like I said, 'addictive'.

I used to love the sound of it when you floored it.

My wallet unfortunately, didn't...

I seriously looked into getting a 328i myself, a while back - if you read owners reports on them, there are plenty out that suggest they're a tad on the dear side to run, fuel wise.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

All modern autoboxes in BMW / Mercedes are very good, and there's very little real reason for choosing manual over them. Mercedes autos have been good for many years.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, the box in my last E34 was really good - always seemed to be in exactly the gear you'd want to be.

*sigh*

I know they're old now, but I miss mine.

It even used to let me lock it right down, and powerslide round roundabouts when the mood took me... :-D

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

COOL! no no no i'm being sensible now :( well maybe the work roundabouts only that's private land :)

Reply to
Vamp

You won't. You'll be, "ooh this BMW six is so smooth, so creamy, it snarls and growls and although it's not as quick as my MR2 turbo it's still ass out quicker than most other stuff on the road."

It won't happen. You won't appreciate it.

I'm not convinced. If you get caught speeding again I strongly suspect you'll be getting the bus for a lot longer.

As Tim said, it is ultimately your money but you'd be making a pretty stupid mistake if you get caught speeding well above the limit again. And I don't care how good your intentions are, with a BMW 328i you are going to see that speedometer buried over the 120 point. Hell I know I would and most people assume I care more about mpg than mph.*

*This certainly isn't true, if it were we'd have a soulless Arosa SDI or Smart CDI or a diesel moped.
Reply to
DervMan